Rollei Newbie with LOTS of Questions

micha

Hello to everyone in the forums! I am EXTREMELY green with regard to

the medium format (have decided it's time to move up from 35mm), so

bare with me -- I have LOTS of questions. First off, I've decided

that I want either a 66SE, 6008i, or 6008AF. All three of these can

accept a digital back, correct? I was considering a 66SE because of

cost, but so far I have been unable to find one that was

significantly less than a 6008i/AF; they've been right around $2000.

So I need arguments for or against each. I know that 6008AF has

features BESIDES auto-focus that the 6008i does not, but I keep my

Minolta on manual focus anyway, so would it be worth the extra bucks?

I noticed on the pages for the 66 that it has pics of a bellows that

extends like a large format or Kodak Land Camera -- is this common,

or unique to that model? Does the 6008 have that feature? Does it

reduce the number of lenses you need?

Also, with regard to price, what would be the cheapest route? I

remember reading about a contact (in the UK, I believe) that was

the 'go to' guy for used Rollei's, but have been unable to find his

contact info again . . . does someone here have it? I have a friend

stationed in Germany; would it be cheaper for him to it pick up there

and send it to me? (I do realize that means it would have to be

serviced in Germany.)

What is the basic equipment (lens, etc.) I'd need starting out? I

plan on doing mainly portrait/product shots, but will sometimes do

architecture also.

Well, I guess that's enough to start -- I'm sure I'll have plenty

more once these are answered. Thanks in advance for your help

everyone!

Micha,

To answer your questions I will start with SL66 or 66SE doesn't take digital back only the latest Rollei 6000 series will accept that. And besides AF the 6008 AF has similiar features with the integral.If i were you I'd stick with integral body, and later on you can step up with AF, you can also go with 6001 or 6003 for sure they are cheaper but these days MF gear price is going down. Digital back price is stil way up there the price, wish in a year or two they will hit floor price under US $5K?.

Lenses there are so many options from Rollei, but for fashion I'd like the 90 APO and 180 TEle Xenar, Architectural there's 55 Shift lens all from Schneider. 120 Zeiss Makro also good for product correct me if I'm wrong guys.

If you live in europe there are two options Robert White (www.Robertwhite.co.uk) or ffordes (www.ffordes.com/ co.uk), also you might want to try Hongkong Vendor from

Anthony Lee (www.accphoto.com). I know that US dollar value is cheaper now against UK pounds or Euro dollar so you might want to try Kurlanphotography, Mike from www. Ctrades.com (Very nice guy) but I'm sure you'llhave to pay custom, etc if you decide to buy overseas.

Good luck and welcome to wonderful world of Rollei!.

Ike

Micha,

Rollei 6000 series also has that bellow extension to use for macro but there's other option such as 9,17,34 and 68 extension ring.Or you also have the option to use reversal/retro adapter so you can use enlargement lens.

And the extra bucks of AF and integral is a lot, we're talking $2000 different here in US not sure in Euro but not worth it for starter (Used gear is the best way to do MF right now).Besides of that the AF lenses theyhave currently only 80, 180 and 60-140 Variogon (would stay from this monster) so pretty much we still use the manual lenses for more choices.Cheers and happy shooting!.

Ike

Rollei 6008 series are generally cameras that require support because of its body/lens weight combinations. For portraitures the 90mm lens is very handy. It delivers brilliant results in studio as well as on locations. It can even provide high quality images in product shots due to its macro capability. However, many commercial photographers prefer large format gears for this type of situations due to better film resolutions of the large formats. As for architecture, Rollei has one tilt/shift lens that is highly respected by serious photographers. But many of my pro friends like to use large format for architectures, too. For medium formats and Rolleis in particular, their fate will be determined in the next couple of years by viable digital add-ons such as an affordable back. Many of us in the IT field may still remember what had happened to Amiga computers during the dawning age of PCs. They were smart PCs but doomed because of midget sales.

<i>Many of us in the IT field may still remember what had happened to Amiga computers during the dawning age of PCs. They were smart PCs but doomed because of midget sales.</i><p>

The main problem with Amiga was that it used its own nisch hardware which could not keep up with the pace of more commonly used hardware over time. The Amiga also had an operating system that while superior to the competion at the time, was vastily inferior to a real OS like UNIX which around mid 90s could be handled by inexpensive PC hardware.

My Amiga 3000 runs UNIX today in my basement.

I do not see how a MF film camera system fits into this. The film "hardware" is way simpler than digital and many film based MF cameras run without any software at all...

<p>

I do not worry about the fate of MF. I recently got a new Mamiya 7 system so that I can enjoy it while film is still available, even if it is just 5 years. Should film keep being available, I will keep using it.

Micha,

The Rollei 600x system is a very flexible medium format system. That said, on to lens

selection. You mention architecture, products, and portraits. For my style of portraiture I

really love the 120mm makro planar. You can get in close and fill the frame with a face if

you want. This lens will do great double duty acting as your product photography lens.

Keep in mind that this lens is optimized for close up where your subject is roughly the size

of your computer screen or smaller (from KF at Zeiss). The lens is not great at infinity and

would not be a good choise as your only lens. You would clearly need another lens for

architecture.

Hello Micha,

I run a 2-year old 6003 pro, and purchased the Schneider 55 Perspective Control/Shift lens, used, and they work very well together. 6003 are recently discontinued, so you may find one cheap (Kit w/80 about $1900?). At the end, they were the same as the 6008, except for programming capabilities. If you aren't going to do a lot of studio work, that may be an economical alternative.

I use a Variogon 75-150 for portraiture and some macro, but beware, that's a lot of lens (aka VeryOhMyGod this is heavy). I have also recenty tried a dog portrait with a 150 and it was fine (can stay back further).

The PCS is a remarkable lens and worth the money if you are going to be doing still lifes and architecture. And despite what they say about "limited" shift range, (as opposed to another whole field camera? Not exactly a valid comparison...) you can still put a 1.4 Longar behind it to bump it up too.

I bought mine from Mike at CTrades.com in California, whose prices are VERY competitive, and often has demos etc. And he's a decent guy, who answers his own phone, with first-hand personal attention and info; invaluable for a newbie.

I think Autofocus is out of focus, financially, for the moment (right along with $20,000 Sinar digi backs). But the 6003 witll take one, someday....

SL66s a too old now for much but collecting. They were revolutionary in their day though. Pity Hasselblad never caught on and got with updated designs.

Feel free to e-mail me if you wish more detail.

Cheers,

Ray Hull