Kirk vs. RRS telephoto flash brackets

bob_royse

I just got a new catalogue from Kirk Enterprises in the mail showing

their new line of telephoto flash brackets. I was planning on getting

the RRS flash arm for my 600mm lens in the next few weeks, but the

new Kirk product looks interesting as well. If anyone has yet seen or

used one of the Kirk flash brackets, I'd appreciate comments about

sturdiness in the field and convenience.

DEAR BOB

I'VE GOT THE RRS FLASH BRACKET FOR MY 400/2.8, ALONG WITH VARIOUS PLATES ETC. THE QUALITY IS INCREDIBLE, I,VE TRIED A FEW PRODUCTS FROM KIRK AND WAS NOT IMPRESSED. THEY SEEM TO COPY FROM RRS. WHAT IS NICE ABOUT THE RRS BRACKET IS THE WAY IT LOCKS ON THE LENS PLATE (2 STAINLESS HEX SCREWS) AND A WRENCH IS INCLUDED. IT IS ROCK SOLID AND EASY TO PUT ON AND OFF. HOPE THE INPUT WAS HELPFUL.

Don't know about the new Kirk flash brackets. I've got the RRS plates and brackets for my 300 and 600. They are well built and very functional.

I've got a friend who purchased several Kirk plates that seemed only to be knock-offs of the RRS plates. Actually they were not a snug and had a thicker profile. I didn't like them when compared to RRS for these reasons.

The full-time pros I've spent time with (Joe McDonald, Art Morris, etc.) swear by the RRS gear. I tend to agree with them based on my own experience. Bryan was very nice and quite helpful over the phone when I converted an old ballhead using one of his clamps

Good luck!

The ability of the Kirk bracket to fold to any position seems quite compelling. Much like the panning ability on the Arca B1 vs. B1E, needing to use the feature only once justifies the purchase.

Also, the new dual arm macro bracket is absolutley ingenious. By far the best macro bracket around.

As for quality, I don't know about RRS. I know that I am happy with the Kirk plates I have. I always hear that the RRS plates are machined better and are smaller. But I honestly don't know how my Kirk plates could be any smaller or that much better machined. I don't know if Kirk quality is better now than it used to be. In any event, shaving a half ounce and a millimeter or two doesn't seem to have much impact when you are lugging a 600mm lens and a Gitzo 500.

I am however hoping that one day I will have enough time to get a piece of paper, write my order down, calculate my shipping, write a check, address an envelope, lick the stamp and wait 10 days for my product.

I really want one of those B16 Converter Clamps.

Bob,if you want the best, then get the RRS. From what I can see, the RRS flash bracket and lens plates are very well made and I doubt if Kirk can do better. I have a couple of RRS plates as well as their flash bracket. I also have one Kirk lens plate and it is not as well made as the RRS. But that is not to say that Kirk's plates and brackets are not useable - just not as good as RRS.

If the price is about the same, I would recommend you go for the RRS.

I got that catalog also. In general, RRS stuff is more thoughtfully designed. If that equates to quality is for you to decide. Everything from both of these companies are fairly simply machined blocks of aluminum and are unjustifiably spendy.

As for the flash brackets. The Kirk seems to have some advantages over the RRS model. The Kirk is more flexible in terms of pivots and you can buy one telescoping extension arm. To my recollection, RRS sells different lengths of extension arms.

In this case I'd go with the Kirk product.

Bob -

I also received their new catalog, and while thumbing through it, I did notice some coincidental product changes to make their line look more like RRS items. Items such as their new flash brackets, as well as adding the retention/safety screws to the quick release plates, are obviously direct responses to competition from RRS.

However, I question how much "better" in quality one is over the other as some have mentioned here. Just to say one is better over the other isn't good enough. The differences in the product features are minimal, and when it comes down to it, both companies are just machining and bending pieces of aluminum. I don't mean to oversimplify the process of making all these parts, it is just hard to substantiate the quality differences in my opinion. Both are very skilled machinists cranking out parts.

So in the end, I think it comes down to customer service and picking which company serves your needs the best.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar dilemma in purchasing a flash bracket for a 600mm lens. I have RRS plates and flash bracket for my Canon EF lenses (70-200 and 300 and 100 with macro focusing slider). I wanted to purchase a RRS plate and flash bracket with extender post for the very sharp used early production Nikkor 600mm f/4 AIS that I purchased for a very good price. Bryan Geyer was very helpful on the telephone. He told me that RRS didn't make a plate for my early version 600 that would accept their flash bracket. I had the new Kirk catalog and called them. I bought their new LP10 plate and the FB-11 flash bracket and EA-1 extension arm.

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive the items. Machining and finish quality are excellent and on an even plane with the RRS plates and flash arm (i.e., B32 arm). They seem much better refined products than the earlier version Kirk plates and brackets. As mentioned by an earlier poster, the RRS flash arm is attached to their plates and made rigid by two 1/4 inch machine screws. The Kirk flash arm fits into a precision-machined slot in their plate and is held in place by one 1/4 inch screw. It fits tightly, and there is no flexure. The machined slot and one screw makes the Kirk flash arm easier to mount than the RRS flash arm with two screws mounted on a non-slotted surface, and it is comparably rigid. NOW FOR THE REALLY GOOD NEWS. Kirk flash arms are the same width as RRS flash arms. RRS flash arms will fit very well on the new Kirk plates and can be held in place by one screw. Unfortunately, the need for two screws on the RRS plate does not allow you to tightly mount Kirk extension arms on RRS plates. The Kirk extension arm has an identical mount as the RRS extension post. Therefore, you can put Kirk extension arms on RRS flash arms and vice versa. The Kirk extension arm is adjustable (9 to 15 inches) and costs more than the RRS B89 extender post that is fixed length (8.5 inches).

After purchasing the newly-produced Kirk products and comparing them with the RRS plates and flash arms that I own, it is obvious that Kirk has looked seriously at the good features of the RRS plate, flash bracket and extender post. Kirk has not produced a cheap copy of RRS produces as suggested by an earlier poster. Instead, they have designed and produced products with clever improvements that allow greater ease of use and increased flexibility while retaining good compatibility and interchangeability with RRS products that some of us have in our photography kits.

• 3 months later...

Since my last contribution I've tried two more products from Kirk. I have to say I don't agree with William in terms of Kirk's efforts to improve on RRS ideas with improvements in function and quality. I was very dissapointed and returned the products to Kirk. I have learned my lesson and am sticking with RRS as long as they make what I need.

Kirk has more of a one size fits all attitude in general where as RRS strives on 100% correct fit. They have a lifetime customer!

both companies make excellent products. I think Kirk's macro flash brackets are great, and better than the RRS flash bracket, by including an additional pivoting point. clearly, a copy of an RRS design but much improved. I prefer RRS camera plates, but do not enjoy the discourse with Bryan .. though knowledgeable, makes the mistake of assuming he understands the customers art of photography better than the customer.