With EOS10D, shot in color space Adobe 1998 or sRGB?

david-nicolas

I have an EOS10D. Is it better to shoot in color space Adobe 1998 or

sRGB? Does it depend on the purpose?

Manipulating the image in Photoshop, it's better I suppose to have

shot the image in Adobe 1998?

And then convert it to sRGB if needed (like for the web and for

having printed in a lab using only sRGB)? I noticed that my images

loose some "vividness" when converted from Adobe 1998 to sRGB.

Any advice? Thanks, David

In my opinion, it is better to use sRGB if you shoot in Jpg as only using sRGB you will be able to set the image processing parameters.

Obviously, if you shoot in RAW the in camera processing parameters become irrelevant and therefore it doesn't matter. Regardless of my suggestion above, I have my camera set to Adobe RGB all the time simply because it is my work color space and I prefer to avoid any conversion. Then again, I mostly shoot RAW so the argument is pointless.

The most pragmatic, well-explained and straightforward response I've found to this question can be seen here:

http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc025.html

Since all my output is to my in-house photo printers, I shoot exclusively in sRGB. Before I found the above article, I once tried shooting a few frames in Adobe 1998, but was disappointed in the results (which sent me on the hunt for answers).

Hope the above article is as helpful to you as it was to me. (p.s. There are links to lots of other great articles from the home page.)

Thanks all for your answers, including the well-explained webpage.

I guess I was a little mixed up. The following would seem to be more correct.

With an EOS10D, it's a good idea to shoot RAW (if you have enough memory of course).

Then you have to decide what to convert it into, eg AdobeRVB or sRGB, if you want to process it in Photoshop.

If after that you sent it to be printed, mostlabs (or many) will ask a file in SRGB, so if you were working in AdobeRVB, just convert it into sRGB.

As the webpage makes clear, in many cases, it's simpler (and just as good for the overall purpose) to work in sRGB. But of course, if you are an image editing expert and have the time, you will (or may) get a better result with the more complex workflow...