Sony F-828 Lens Fix??

I don't have the link, but I would like to see it myself. I know that Sony is trying to cover up the problem. I spoke to Sony on the phone yesterday and the rep read me the standard response, but let slip an order to downplay the problem when discussing the issue.

The report about Sony acknowledging 828 lens problems is bogus. Internet FUD. The camera certainly has an issue with chromatic aberration under certain conditions--most of which can be avoided by not overexposing--but I wouldn't expect a lens fix for this. My guess is the issue is endemic to the camera design and may have as much to do with reflections in the optical path behind the lens as with the lens itself. Pixel density could also be a contributing factor.

Anyway, people who are using the 828 for actual photography--as opposed to creating test situations where CA will look bad--seem to like it a lot.

-Dave-

Having done some pretty thorough searching, I think David is probably right. The initial reference I saw seems to have vanished, which only leaves one on Photosig - which in turn was also based on that now missing reference.

I would guess that Sony will be reasonably happy with the coverage they are getting from Messrs Reichmann and others and will just move quietly on. However it will be very interesting to see if they can improve on the image quality with the next iteration of this camera. I DO like really big prints and sharp detail on landscapes, so I am hanging back. Other than the noise/ca issue, it is my dream camera as far as features go. I have the 717, and they addressed everything on my wish list with the 828, but I soooo like the cleanness and lack of CA in my 717.. I'll wait.