I am seriously thinking of getting a Fujifilm GA645Zi as a walk-

around camera for candid street shots. It's the only MF camera that

is auto everything (AFAIK), and I want to be as inconspicuous as

possible. Does anyone have some pro or con advice -- I mean, I never

hear this camera mentioned in this forum, so I wonder if you guys

know something I don't.

Thanks in advance.

--Alex

I've had the GA645Zi for about 6 weeks and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I'm using it for travel photography and those times I don't want to get out my 4x5. The lens is very sharp. The system is very light, relatively compact and simple to use. The lens is a bit slow, but I don't find this limiting - I personally like large DOF in much of what I shoot. The zoom range is a bit narrow - I'd love to have 45-110. You may find the autofocus a bit slow for your "walk-around camera for candid street shots". It does not focus as fast as the modern 35mm Canon, Nikon, etc. I'd suggest trying to get your hands on one to try it out. It has its limitations, but within those limitations it is an excellent performer (IMHO). By the way, Robert White in the UK has excellent prices on this camera (and most other equipment). I would not hesitate ordering from them again (I'm in the US).

I purchased this camera about a month ago. I got it used from keh.com for around $1250. I was looking for a MF camera that was lighter and more portable than my Mamiya 645 system. I comsidered the Leica Minilux Zoom and the Contax TVS III also, but eventually decided that I'd rather stick to MF quality, even though that camera was a little bigger. Nevertheless, I've been bery happy with the purchase. The lens is sharp and contrasty, the autofocus is quick, and the exposure has been perfect. All in all, a great light-weight MF camera.

It's a nice camera for your intended use. I've had one for about a year, which I use for 1) casual walk-around shooting, which I rarely do but don't want to carry my 645 when I do; 2) quick shooting capability when I'm out with the 4x5. It's rather quirky (no real manual focus) and has the usual problems inherent in rangefinders (no spot meter, etc), but the quality is terrific and it's nice to get MF quality in a light p&s. I really wish it had more lens range though.

Regards,

Danny Burk

www.dannyburk.com

I've had mine almost 2 years now and love it. There have been lots of messages posted on this camera so look in the Fuji Rangefinders thread. Main problem being loose wind up of film. Solution, use Fuji spools on the take up side or be sure to carefully smooth down the film before closing the back when loading.

Other than that it's great. The orientation thing doesn't bother me. It's no worse than a 35mm. Also, on the street, it just looks like some kind of digital or tourist camera and people don't pay much attention to it.

Hi all,<br><br>Congrats on all the new Fuji GA owners. You'll love the lenses. I invite you to come check out my site

<a href="http://www.fujirangefinder.com">The Fuji Rangefinder Pages</a> which I put together a few months back to share my enthusiasm for my Fuji camera. Over 180 registered members (it's free of course) have posted and shared over 100 images made from Fuji rangefinders and the Hassy Xpan (Fuji TX-1). Please feel free to post some of your own. <br><br>Ok, self-promotion over. :^)<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Richard<br><a href="http://www.fujirangefinder.com">www.fujirangefinder.com</a>

If Fuji would make a manual focus version, I'd buy it in a second.

It is amazing how much Fuji fit in such a small package, but the

user interface really suffers as a result. this is not a camera you

can figure out how to use without an owner's manual. the manual

focus is a kind of zone focus, making the camera difficult ot use

for landscapes. It has a hyperfocal focusing mode, but uses a

size of acceptable circle of confusion that is too large for my taste.

As far as I can tell, changing the f-stop caused it to re-focus in

hyperfocal mode so you can't fake it out by having it focus then stop

down 1 stop. I think the camera would work for scenic shots focused

near infinity, but near-far type shots, particularly with wide angle,

would require you to accept slightly less critical control over

DOF than is possible with a manual camera.

<p>

Still it's a very interesting camera, and I'd expect the fuji optics

to be absolutely 1st rate.