Reno, Nevada in July

klsphoto

I was born and raised in Reno - lived the for 20 years and all my family is still there.

Lake Tahoe, Lake Tahoe and Lake Tahoe. That's by far the top destination. The Mount

Rose Highway, which is where the freeway portion of 395 basically ends south of town, is

a great and quick way to get there. There are breathtaking views of Reno and the Washoe

Valley all the way up. Even better views of the lake from the crest all the way down. Also

try taking the turnoff to Slide Mountain - some nice views there as well.

If you go East instead of West on the Mt Rose Highway, past the Virginia Foothills (where

my family is) it's actually called Geiger Grade and is the road to Virginia City. There are

great views of the Washoe Valley and of Virginia City from this road. Definitely

recommended. Make at least a half-day for this trip because you'll want to explore Virginia

City and perhaps take a ride on the V&T Railroad.

South of town, on the way to Carson City, is Bower's Mansion, which backs right up to the

Eastern Sierra's. Not much to say about it other than it's a nice property. Do a Google

search on it to see if it might interest you.

Pyramid Lake is about 28 miles north of town and is like an alien landscape. It's a gigantic

lake that is extremely shallow and is full of wildlife, but there is very little vegetation, so

it's got a really strange feeling to it.

I'll think of more - gotta run now.