Asking people to take their photograph

I love the close-up photographs of individuals that are in their

environment (i.e. the Afgan Girl -esque type. Very close, emotional

with their eyes, interesting in colors, etc.)

My question is how do you approach someone and talk to them and ask

them if you can take their photograph.

I live in the Philippines and have found so many interesting people

that I want to photograph, but feel to embarrased, scared to confront

them and ask if I can take their picture (cuz if someone came up to me

and asked to take my photograph, I would say NO).

So, how do you ask people?

I was very lucky today.

As you I'm to afraid asking anyone to take their photo too. When I went to the city today I photographed some flowers in a park. After a couple of minutes an alcoholic started to ask what I did (he wasn't to drunk) and I said that my hobby was photograph and we started to chat. After a couple of minutes he asked if I had any money that he could have for buying a cup of coffee. I said that if I could take a photo of him it was ok. I gave him $3 and started to take photos of him. He talked a lot and I said that keep on talking and I took several photos of him at the mean time. I ended up with 50 photos and talked to the guy for over an hour.

Anyway this might not help you, but I started to think if it's not just possible to go to anyone and say like this:

Hi, My name is Marcus and I have a question. My hobby is taking photographs (and especially portraits of people that I don't know) and when I saw your face I was just stunned and therefor I wonder if I may take a photo of you? You see, I see it as a challange to take photos of people that I don't know.

/ Marcus

Thanks for your comments.

I need to go try this. While generally outgoing, I am pretty shy with the camera.

Another question that I would like to pose, along with the original question, is it okay to pay someone to take their photograph.

I read a photography book and there are two schools of through:

a) No - Especially in developing countries, by giving money, it lets the individual think that they can get money for not doing anything and taking the easy way out.

b) Yes - Models are paid huge sums of money to pose in front of a camera and paying someone, no matter who it is, is okay. Also, the small sum of money that they are requesting is usually very small to us (usually around $1 or $2), it can be a huge amount to them, so, why not, give them something.

What is everybody's thought? and, do you normally give something to your "models" on the street?

I usually just start talking to people about something that I figure might interest them. It might be their clothing, what they're doing, something like that. Then I ask. I carry a small book of prints that I show them if they want to know what it is I do.

I never pay money on the street, and I never shoot people who might be classified as "alcoholics," unless they're my friends.

If you can talk to people (I mean, you share reasonable control of a language) there normally are no problems. A smile and a question, "may I take your photo?" will get either a "yes" or a "no" - whereby the latter is always better than traying to steal a picture, and being caught in the act. Contrary to the advice above, I don't think it is a good idea to try and elaborare how to want to take a photo of a specific individual. He/she may very well come to the conclusion that you regard him/her as funny or weird.

The real problem is taking photos of people, whom you cannot talk to and who often have strong cultural or religious taboos in this regard. Even there, a smile, pointing at your camera and then at the subject will clearify you intentions everywhere in the world. For particularly stubborn cases, I have two suggestions: 1) carry a fake lens that allow you to take 90 degree photos. (of course, this works only if you aree using a SLR). Some people regard this as tricky and disonhest, but frankly speaking I don't see what damage is being inflicted to the subject. 2) Have a Polaroid with you, and hand the subject a photo of himself/herself. This is rather expensive, but it works like a charm - indeed, you may end up with more willing subjects than you have use for. However, if the first anser is "no", it may be difficult to explain that you want to GIVE them a photo.

Stephen, I lived in the Philippines for two years also. Have you lived there long? I don't know about your experience, but I found that Filipinos generally LOVE having their picture taken. In fact, I more often than not had to fight to keep people OUT of my shots. As soon as someone saw me raise my camera, a crowd would rush in and smile for the camera! Much of the time I knew these people (my students - college age), but the same thing was true in my street photography as well. Children especially want to get in. Sometimes, unbeknownst to them, I would be using a telephoto (85 or 100mm) and pick out just one face in the crowd. Other times I would just take the shot because their enthusiasm was so contagious. ONly once in two years did a person say no to me when I asked to take her picture, and I suspect that there were other issues involved in that case that ran deeper than my request. I love Filipino people because they are so friendly, especially when you are friendly toward them. Most of the time they are flattered and embarassed that anyone would want to take a picture of them. Do you know some of the boys who watch your car for you for a few pesos in public places, or your regular vendor in the market, or the family running the sari sari store in your neighborhood? I guess if you live in urban Manila your life might be different (I lived in Cebu), but these people that know you just enough to trust you are wonderful candidates for pictures. Starting here will relax you and give you confidence to move on to strangers. Jeff's idea of a small album is a good one, I'll have to try that for the much tougher crowd here in the US. Have fun!

Del

If I see someone that looks interesting to photograph, I simply say, "May I make your portrait?" Every single time this leads to, "My what?" Then I say that I am an amatuer photographer and like to make portraits of people that I meet who seem interesting. Every single time this leads to a short conversation and a few photos of cool people. No one has every been taken aback by my saying that they look interesting, but, if asked, you can always say that they look "alive" or "happy". I have photos of businessmen on the beach, a father of the bride, goths, people with particularly nice looking dogs, and the like (but no scanner for sharing them with photo.net). Come to think of it, I have been turned down once and it was for taking a picture of someone's dog playing in the surf. They said that they were worried that I would spread it all over the internet. I guess it makes sense because the dog was naked afterall.

Yes, this is a problem we need to work out. I have started with people at work in their businesses which I deal with. Insurance agent, dentist, shoe repair, plumber, convenience store clerk, etc etc. These are people I've done business with before and recognize me as "harmless". :-)

I usually say something like "Would you mind if I took a couple of snapshots while you do that?" I'm seldom turned down, but when that happens I immediately put down the camera and respect their wishes. Sometimes a little joking around will change their minds, too.

I don't make a big serious deal out of it, and if they ask why, I say it's just for fun, and I've been enjoying a little project of snapping folks doing their work. I also keep in mind that I may want to come back sometime and hopefully they'll allow me to snap them again! I usually do make a point of delivering a 4x6 or 5x7 print.

This experience builds confidence, and makes it easier to branch out to other less-known people. For some samples see my folder here: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=365099

Stephen,

I'm a rather shy person myself, but the camera gives you an excuse to take an interest in other people. On a recent trip to Texas a lot of my time was focused on just photographing the people. Some stuff I shot candidly without their knowledge, but a lot of it I approached the people and asked if I could take their photo. Nobody turned me down and I never got punched. I also walked away with a few keepers so all in all it was a great experience. I just try to approach them with a sincere level of respect and make small talk with them to help put them at ease. Sure my intent is to get a decent photo out of the deal, but I do still care about what they have to say or how their day is going. I think that carries over to your subject too. So obvisouly if your only interest in them is just getting their photo it'll show in your work. One area that I don't think is talked about a lot is your dress. I personally like to dress down and look approachable. I'll throw on my favorite baseball cap, a white t-shirt and try to have a good time. I mean you're basically going out and socializing with people from all walks of life and to me there's nothing more exciting.

The images that turned out ok from the trip can be seen on my website at:

http://photo.timgruber.com/images/txport/index.htm

Good luck.<div>008CzW-17930584.jpg.0fdca297fce1c69cb70b3a325f041020.jpg</div>

Let me suggest that you NOT pay people to photograph them as someone had suggested. If you wouldn't be willing to let someone take your photograph then why should they let you? isn't that a bit hypocritical? Just be polite and ask, you'll be surprised how often they'll oblige, but yes, it is a very intimidating task. check out my photos, many of them are of this type of street portraiture style.

Josh

Thanks everybody. There are some great suggestions.

I need to get a spine and go talk to people.

Tim - You got great photos. I really like the man slumped over sleeping in the curved concrete seats.

To answer some questions:

A) I am living in Makati (Metro Manila). I shot the bike race and all the spectators wanted to be in the shot. You are correct; Philippino's are generally very nice, receptive and want to be in photographs. I haven't tried to take a photo of a singe person (only in group so far), but they all want to be in the shot.

B) Is it hypocritical? YES. I don't feel comfortable with someone taking my photo. I think it comes down to low self-esteem, but that is a conversation for www.psychiatry.com. :)

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions.

Stephen

Stephen, be sure to post the results. I actually almost didn't take that photo of the man sleeping. I try not to photograph people down on their luck unless there's a reason to beyond them just being down on their luck. Bresson's photo of the man sleeping in the papers below the sea of parade goers is a fine example of producing photos with a social conscious. I actually walked by this man and two blocks later decided I had to turn around and take a photo. The light was so soft pouring in and he looked so peaceful. Before I took the photo I bought him a bottle water, which isn't much, but it was my way of saying thank you.

Doug, you have a impressive gallery of enviromental portraits there. Have you been working on that for awhile now? It would definately make a nice photo exhibit one day. I esp. love shots like the one of Terry the carpet cleaner for its simplicity and great framing. There's enough there to tell us a little about the man, but still a great level of simplicity. The man sweeping behind the shop is another great example of that. Nice job.

Tim, thanks for your comments. It was about a year ago that I was updating my old photo records on the computer and examining old contact sheets... and in this review I noticed that it was the people-pictures that held the most interest. So I set out to concentrate on pictures of people. But how to approach the subject? I thought it would be easier to snap photos of people with whom I already had contact, who recognized me as "harmless". At the same time, these are people I'd like a memory-aid record anyway as already having some interaction. So... I zeroed in on people doing their jobs in their places of business that I encounter normally. Gaining experience and confidence, I could then branch out to less-known people and strangers.

One thing I should have anticipated is that things change over time, and people who may be available and doing their jobs at one time can well be retired or dead or out of business a little later. Opportunities are often fleeting, and can be lost through delay!<div>008DOP-17939184.jpg.7223c56a8fcb325307370e816aac5fda.jpg</div>

Stephen, when I my photography first turned serious, I primarily shot nature and scenic

type photography. Like you, I'm a bit shy by nature, and don't like my picture taken either.

I would go to great lengths to make sure nobody was in my photos. <P>

Some years ago, I took a "people" photography workshop with Nevada Wier (recommended

if you ever get a chance). Silly as it seems, the thing I really learned was that I was my own

biggest obstacle to people photography. I was projecting my shyness onto the rest of the

world's population. The trick is simply to get over it (though that feeling isn't all that

simple to abandon). <P>

I just had to overcome my shyness and ask. If you are polite and pleasant, you'd be

surprised how often people say "sure". Some people love the attention, even if I wouldn't.

After doing a lot more people photography over the last few years, I'm most surprised how

seldom I'm turned down. <P>

Even in foreign countries where I don't speak the language, I point at my camera, then

point at them, smile, shrug. They get the idea and somehow indicate yes or no. Most of

the time, that's even easier. Americans can be pretty cynical, and many people wonder

what they'll get out of it. Americans frequently ask for money if I ask them to sign a model

release. Foreigners seldom do. <P>

See here a recent gallery of people photos I took in Myanmar (Burma). All of them

consented to be photographed, and I speak not a word of Burmese. <br>

<a href="http://www.scottpix.com/gallery/travel/myanmar_people.html"

target="_blank">People of Myanmar.</a> <P>

Regarding paying someone. I never pay anyone, either in America or elsewhere, unless I'm

asking for a model release. Even with a model release, I'll offer to send a couple prints, but

try not to pay directly. Particularly in developing countries, I am of the opinion that paying

even a small amount simply sets up a begging culture that is more detrimental than

helpful in the long run. I sometime donate to a local charity or monastery or something,

but almost never give direct handouts. One exception is if someone is truly working like a

model. When I was in Myanmar, a couple of guys spent several hours over a couple of days

letting me take their photos. I directed them where to paddle, how to stand, hold their

nets, what type of hats to wear, etc, etc. They were acting in every way like models, and

they signed model releases, even though they were really just bus boys at a hotel. I paid

them just like any other model (though not as much as a New York model, of course).

<br>

<a href="http://www.scottpix.com/gallery/travel/myanmar_fishing.html"

target="_blank">Myanmar Fishermen.</a> <P>

So just get over your shyness and ask. The worse they can say is no, and if you are polite

asking they won't be offended either way. The hardest time is the first time. It gets easier

and easier after that. I have no problem asking now, and have a hard time believing how

shy I was about it a few years ago. <P>

Good luck.

Scott,

I just had an opportunity to look at your site.

Great photographs.

I am particularly impressed with Novice at Shwenandaw #5.

That is great. The lighting is fantastic, the look, color, everything.

I can only aspire to capture a shot like that.

SE Asia is an amazing place. I live in the Philippines and there are so many interesting things. I can't wait to go to Cambodia. That is my next trip.

If you get an opportunity to get out to SE Asia again, drop me a line.

Stephen

• 1 month later...