Extender help

terry manier

Is 1.4 x 200 long enough? If not, get the 2x. But yes, you sacrifice something for the amount of magnification. Mostly, you sacrifice speed (1 stop for the 1.4 and 2 stops for the 2x), and you do lose a little quality with each step. Good luck.

Terry:

You will lose a little quality with the 1.4X and a little more with the 2X. The 70-200 f/2.8

is so good that even with a slight quality loss, I think the 1.4X is still quite good and

useable on the 70-200. The 2X is a bit of a disappointment to me, but some folks find it

quite useable. I think the 1.4X is well worth the money on the 70-200 and the 2X is

questionable. I would recommend you get the 1.4X.

I should add that I use the 2X on the 100 macro for more magnification, and I like it for

that.

Happy Shooting!

Jim

The main question here is: how large do you want the birds to be on the film/print? Or, the other way around: how far are you from them?

If you can fill your frame with them at 1.4x extension, use that one; if not, use 2x extension ... or stack. {Ultimately you will need those extenders on a 600 mm lens anyway, so save a few thousands for that 600/f4 lens now!}

As the extender article says: you need to get the largest image first, then you can crop and enlarge. not the other way around, however nice the 1.4x extended image is.