Rollei/Zeiss 110 f2 planar question

david_kite

Greetings. I have searched the web and photo.net and I still can not find much first hand

user experience with the Zeiss 110 f2 planar for the Rollei 600x cameras. I would like this

to be my first lens. I shoot mostly black and white portraits. I am attracted by the fact

that this is a long normal lens. I would also like to combine this lens with the Schneider

1.4x longar to get a lens of approximately 154mm. This seems to make for a versitile set

up. What is your experience with this lens and the lens tc combination?

I don't have any experience with the 110mm, although I think the MTF's for it

are available on the Hassy site. However I do have experience with the 1.4x

longar and it is excellent. Little if any discernible loss of image quality.

You might also want to look into maybe getting the 80mm and 150mm with

the longar, instead of the 110mm. This would give you and 80mm, 112mm,

150mm and 210mm options. There are plenty of used 80's on the market, the

best one being the Schneider 80mm 2.8 xenar.

Hi David, I have recently sold my 110mm lens after 2 years use. It was a cracking lens 85% of the time but very prone to flare. I have gone back to hasselblad and find the 100mm to be much less prone to flare. I had a 60mm lens for my Rollei that was just the same as the Hasselblad version. Ultimatly i was disapointed because i realy enjoyed the speed and look of the 110 lens but the flare could be awful at times.

Cheers Iain

I have the Zeiss 110mm and use it frequently with the 1.4x longar -- it's an excellent

combination that has worked well for me. I'm hard put to see any difference between that

combination and the 150mm tele-xenar. I have not made any tests and my assessemnt is

only for normal portrait distances.

Wrt to previous commenbt, I have not had any probvlems with flare -- but I understand

that earleier versions were prone to flare but that this was corrected subsequently by Zeiss

with some internal paint and flocking..

I have a 110 and have used it with my 60 mm Schneider for weddings.

I have found it heavy and I seem to endlessly crank it to focus it. I use the Hasselblad Compendium lens shade; I do not have flair.

I seem to use my 90 mm a lot more. It is easier to work with. For portraits I use my 150 mm Schneider.

Ed Carmick

As with any extreme speed lens (which this certainly is), it's not going to be as good as its

bretheren stopped down. The larger front element itself causes flare issues, and removing

abberrations at extreme wide stops compromises abberation reduction at slower stops.

And then there's the weight... By all means get it if you need the speed or shallow DOF--

for what it is it's amazingly good. But if you're going to be at f4 or beyond most of the

time it's the wrong lens.

If I were to have but one lens for for my Rollei this would be it. Absolutely gorgeous for available light portraiture at f2.8 or f2. It's no slouch at smaller apertures either in my experience. I've had no problems with flare. I use the Bay 104 Lens Hood with it. Haven't tried it with the 1.4 Longar but based on my experience with the Longar on my 180mm lens I'm sure you'll be pleased with the combo.

Have a look at the 120/4 Macro Planar too. Optimised for closer focusing but still OK for up to infinity. For speed, but larger angle of view the Schneider 80/2 is a beauty, and you can of course bring it in with extension tubes without losing any stops. The 1.4 Longar is optimised for this lens (and the 180/2.8) which will give you your short telephoto of about 110 at f/2.8. Both the 120/4 and 80/2 seem to be available for rather less than the 110/2.

I love this lens. I do most of my portrait stuff with this lens and enjoy the way it

works in low light, I also use it when shooting rock concerts too. Just make

sure that you have a HUGE compendium shade on it. I use the Lee Filters one

and so far haven't had any flare problems.

It weighs a bit but I like them heavy, a nice piece of glass!