Got 70-200/2.8 IS for cheaper price,Should I sell my 200/2.8 mkII?

ike k

Folks,

I just been fortunate to get a 70-200/2.8 IS for $999 plus tax

(Refurb with 6 mos warranty bought from Canon direct). Question is

as I already own a 200mkII and love it, how's the sharpness,

contrast, etc between the 70-200 IS at 200mm with the 200mkII at all

aperture?. I almost bought an 85/1.8 &100/2 as I already have

100/2.8 macro and 135/2 so the only focal length I don't have is 85.

I do portrait at the most, and those lenses I can not be part with,

but the thing is I have to low maintenance cost. I know the

flexibility of having zoom is nice but the good thing of primes is

they are prime lenses.Thanks for the advice and really appreciate!.

Ike

Rodolfo,

I haven't got the zoom yet but it's coming on the way. That's why I asked for those who has used these two lenses. I know from 200mkII that I own has been given me excellent result, and that's why before I bought this 70-200 I was thinking to buy 85 but there the zoom with a very good price that I can not pass on.I know this is a "stupid question" for some expert in this beloved photo.net but it doesn't hurt me to hear from someone else for their opinion that I don't want to hear and I'm taking it easy.

Thank you for this post. I'm that much closer to being cured. Today, I actually plan on going out and taking some photographs with all the gear I own! I feel as if I'm on the first step of a 12 step program.

It's nice to have both. The prime is much smaller, lighter and is black, so it's better for travel and street shooting. With the 1.4x Extender, the prime makes for a really sharp and small 300 F4 (280). When its okay to be conspicuous, the zoom's versatility is great.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Macman,

One of my family works for Canon, and the sale only for employee family member. But not all lenses or products are avail for sale, I wish I could get 1DmkII for half retail price but it's not gonna happen :-(.

Sell it out. You will hardly ever carry it around if the zoom is there. I don't know how prime fans handle the pain of swaping lenses in fast changing situtaions. I always feared I drop them in hurry. The only good point about this paricular prime is lightweight and stealth look, and offcourse it's a prime.

Prime users tend to put more thought into their shots. I have never felt handicapped by using primes even in fast paced ever changing conditions.

The 200 2.8L is a nice lens and as is the 70-200 2.8L. I had the non IS version. I would definelty keep the 200 prime atleast until you make up your own mind. Those big white zooms are heavy, and have lots of glass to move when you focus. If you use auto focus a lot you will notice that lens will eat your batteries especially if you have the IS on too. Although they use rear govusing to keep the lens the same length you will notice if you look into the lens as the camera focuses that it is moving a lot of big glass on the inside of the lens.

that said I loved mine but I found I carried the 200 prime more becasue its lighter.

Do you use the zoom lens equally throughout its entire range? If you use it all the way

zoomed in most of the time, get rid of it.

Are you doing any low-light shooting? Do you like to go without the tripod? If so, maybe

the zoom lens should be kept.

If yes to both, then maybe you should keep both! I have the 70-200 f/4L, but would trade

it in a second for the 200 f/2.8L as I use it zoomed all the way in most of the time.

>>I don't know how prime fans handle the pain of swaping lenses in fast changing situtaions<<

Primes are better lenses, for sure and the 200 f/2.8 is one of the best lenses Canon makes. Having said that, one doesn't bring a knife to a gunfight; by the same token one doesn't use primes when the shoot calls for a zoom ;)

I have both (I bought the 200/2.8 first), and still use them both. For shooting chromes (Provia F), I can't honestly say that the prime is sharper than the zoom. The zoom does seem more prone to flare, probably because the hood is a compromise (it's really correct for 70 mm, not 200).

With a converter (EF 2X), I do think there is a difference. The zoom seems softer when using the converter. The 2X nows stays on the prime, giving me a decent 400/5.6. The lens that doesn't get used much any more is my 85/1.8.

"Prime users tend to put more thought into their shots" What bullshit Troll (You have named yourself well) I have looked at your uploaded pics and can't see anything that screams out "well thought out prime!"

Lenses are just tools, not things to tug over, so use the best tool at time to get the job done, who cares whether its a zoom or a prime.