F100 repair cost

Sanford

At some point I will send in my F100 to Nikon to repair a faulty

meter pattern switch. Does Nikon still do a complete CLA as part of

the deal? Anyone care to speculate the cost of this - it is something

I can live with although I don't like have the camera stuck on matrix.

well, in 1996, my F401+default lens (35-70,3.5-5.6) fell on conctret and had to be repaired. This cost me DM 510,- (DM-US$ rate was at 1$=DM 1.50 at the time, lens and camera count as two seperate units)) at that time, or 270 for the lens and 260 for the body (the lens was more significantly damaged (zoom did not work anymore) than the body which only lost the flash rig and a few other scarrs. I asked them after they (Nikon Germany that is) presented me the invoice, if lets say not repairing the flash would cut the cost - the answer was no - most of the money you pay is for just opening and doing anything at all with the camera, basically the number of hours they invest into repairing your camera. Less than 1 hr is 1 hr that you have to pay - considering thye high work costs in Germany (and the USA)... I don't have to say more. Therefore I would speculate the repair costing about $150, maybe a bit less. Possibly you can save by not letting Nikon make the repair but someone authorised. BTW, inspite of the repairs costing almost as much as the camera (but they changed the lens model from 35-70 to a 35-80 (but way slower!) which I didn't like), I let them make the repairs, both camera + lens (well the zoom is a bit more sluggish than before) worked well, served me for many years (lens still occasionally in use until I have something more appropiate in this fl range, the camera was recently replaced by an F80, and is still in my posession as a backup body). Hoped to have been of any help. Best would be to ask, or let them make an invoice (which will cost you, if you decide not to make the repairs).

If you are talking about Nikon USA, as far as I know you can always ship them your F100 and they'll give you an estimate. If you decline repair, they'll only charge you $10 for shipping. Please keep in mind that I haven't done this for a few years so that my info may be out of date, but you can always give them a call to verify.

The bad news is that for any small repair job, Nikon USA tends to charge over $200. That is why although my F100 has a faulty depth of field preview button and I don't bother to get it fixed. I am gradually shifting to all digital and won't use the F100 much any more but I won't sell it either.

By the way, if your F100 is not an USA model, Nikon USA won't fix it. The equivalent applies to Nikon Canada.

Yes, I just call Nikon recently. It still stand. Nikon USA will give you a free estimate. But if you refuse the repair, you will get a $10 charge for shipping back to you.

Lucky I charge to my credit card and it got one addictional year extended warranty from Nikon. My F100, after 1.5 year, the power switch got defective. $200 seem to be expensive. because you can buy a new one for 800+ after rebate. That it is like 1/4 of the price.

CLA = clean, lube and adjust. Nikon used to, as part of any repair, go throught the entire camera and put everything back to specs and guarantee it for six months. That is supose to justify the high cost of Nikon repairs.

I have had Nikon USA do repairs for me twice in the past, once an F3HP with a shutter that acted up, and again an F4 with a meter that was not fully operable. Each repair was in the neighborhood of $285. Whether they did a full CLA or not I don't know, but other people I've talked to over the years since then (that was more than 5 years ago)have had similar repairs done at independent facilities for about half that cost.

I recently sent in my F-100 for a CLA to Nikon NPS and was charged $250.00 for the job. You might want to find a qualified independent to do the CLA as the charge might be less. I may have paid a premium because I used Nikon Professional Services. The service was great but a bit expensive.

• 2 months later...

I just have my F100 repair by Nikon service center in Torrance, CA. USA. The total charge was $179 + $10 shipping.

This was the services repair order:

Service level B2( Moderate Repair : Major Parts Replaced)

RPL top cover complete

RPL grip unit

RPR main sw(power sw)

CKD shuttle release

CKD auto focus operation

general check & clean.

This problem was the power switch that I have to toggle on/off. sometime when power off, it will not power off. I have toggle or remove the battery. And when turn on, I have to toggle off/on to turn it on.

There were couple of think I didn't quite undersdand why the replace the top cover and grip unit. The only problem I got was the switch.

But overall, the camera arrive in one piece and I am satisfies especially with the cleanning.