Need Repair Advice--Worth the cost?

gregg_smith4

I have an Elan that is 12 years old with a 28-135mm EF lens.

Unfortunately, the unit was dropped and needs repairing. The

estimate for the body is $160 and for the lens $200. The ring that

controls the zoom became disconnected, but one can pull the lens out

by hand to change the zoom. The auto-focus still seemed to work. I

have always liked the outfit, but I know nothing about the used

value of it. What are your opinions?

I just discovered this site and am very impressed. Thanks for your

help!

The original Elan (EOS 100) sells used for $75-100, so kiss it goodbye. A new Elan 7N is about $325, and it's a nice upgrade from the 1991 Elan. If you're on a tight budget, a used Elan II/EOS 50 is about $150-200. KEH has lots of 'em.

The lens is a toss up. For $400 you can buy a new one. 300 clams buys a used one and $200 repairs yours. $200 also buys a nice EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM, an equally fine consumer zoom, albeit shorter, lighter and smaller.

Incidentally, I have a near mint Elan I keep in my office. Every time I use it I'm reminded of how little cameras have actually improved the last 14 years. That little body had all the basic features common in EOS bodies today: QCD, selectable meter patterns and AF modes (6% partial!), pic modes, FEC, EC, cross AF sensor, RC-1 remote, etc. The zoom pop-up flash is it's only little oddity that didn't make it into the new millennium.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<<For $400 you can buy a new one. 300 clams buys a used one and $200 repairs yours. $200 also buys a nice EF 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM, an equally fine consumer zoom, albeit shorter, lighter and smaller.>>

I'd opt for a good used one with a dealer warranty. No reason to take the pipe on a new one, for the difference of $100 I wouldn't use one that some bench monkey has taken apart and reassembled, and I surely wouldn't downgrade to the 28-105 which is *not* "equally fine" at all, it is noticeably less optically good than the 28-135, shorter in focal range, and lacks IS.

"and I surely wouldn't downgrade to the 28-105 which is *not* "equally fine" at all, it is noticeably less optically good than the 28-135"

Sheesh, aren't you a know it all today! I own and use both lenses and indeed they're very close in optical performance--we're talking splitting hairs here. Like everything, there are sample variations. However, there are advantages to both and the choice is a matter of priorities. The small zoom is less prone to flare, a 1/2 stop faster at the long end, not prone to zoom creep, doesn't block the popup flash, focuses faster and is a joy to carry on travels due to it small size and weight. The larger zoom has more reach and IS--a big advantage--but is large 'n heavy, blocks the popup flash at the wide end, suffers from large amounts of flare (forget about bright sunsets) and exhibits extreme zoom creep. Both zooms suffer from plenty of barrel distortion at the short end.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Do you like the camera? If so, get it repaired. If you are open to a newer model, then consider that. If you do wish to move to a newer model, the 7e is so marginally improved over the IIe, I would save the money and seek a IIe. I have a IIe and borrowed a 7e and the results and handlability, for me, are just not noticeable. The only problem is that the IIe is only available used. And used is a problem for some. For me example; I would not follow my own advice so I would have a warranty on a new piece of equipment if I could afford it. That said, there are many places that sell used or slightly used bodies, like B & H and warranty them. Do a little research and the answer will come to you......

I am surprised how people can make a judgement based on one sample of a lens. I've owned a 28-105 which was a very very good lens and often used wide open when necessary. I've tested one sample of the 28-135 IS my friend uses on his 10D and it performed just about the same as the 28-105, maybe a little worse. It had to be stopped down to f/8 for optimum sharpness whereas I could see sharper images from my 28-105 at f/5.6. As always, ymmv.

If you're feeling lucky, Martin Kaufman posted a link to this site with parts lists, and more important for you, diagrams on how to take the lens apart and put it back together.

If you deem it's not worth the repair costs, and is a loss anyway, you could try fixing it yourself just for the hell of it

general site

http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist

your lens

http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/EF%2028-135.pdf