7II - Black or Champagne?

dean_tomasula1

I use a black body because that's what I could find used when I was buying a few years ago. I would have gone either way, though. I think the champagne color has been discontinued, though, at least I haven't seen it for sale new for a while. There are used ones around now, though.

You see many threads like this on Leica forums, where people wonder whether black, titanium, black paint, silver, platinum, or snake skin looks best on their Leicas. Give it a rest. Go take beautiful photos. Cameras are nothing more than tools, not jewellery to boost your egos.

I guess my M-7 is "champagne" since it's some funky metalic (not black) color. Never gave it a thought until a few days ago I was shooting with my black Bronica SQA and a silver Contax G. It was a 95 degree day with direct overhead sun and very little shade. (fortunately, my model's day job is mowing lawns) I was about a mile away from the car and would put one camera down and shoot with the other. I noticed the black Bronica got very hot while the silver Contax stayed much cooler. I was glad I was not shooting w color film. So I'd always pick a lighter color camera given the choice.

All that assumes you are photographing WITH the camera, not PHOTOGRAPHING THE CAMERA.

Bob, if you have the 7 and it's not Black, it's Titanium. I have a Titanium 7 also and it's a great camera (looks cool too).

While Titanium is the color I prefer, it is not offered in the 7II, only Black and Champagne (and I believe that Champagne has been discontinued). I've never actually seen the Champagne color in person, but from photos I've seen it looks ok. Black is always a safe color (though not in the sun apparently!)

I'm looking to get another body as a back up. I was thinking about getting another 7 because they are about half the price of the 7II, but I'm on the fence about it. I know the "upgrades" in the 7II are not (for me anyway) worth twice the price, but I'm concerned about availability of parts and repair on a discontinued 7 body.