The Best Photo Printers?

kelcihedrick

I'm in search of a high quality printer that can print out

documents, but mostly photos. I hate when a home-printed photo is

pixelated or linear looking, I want my photos to look close to what

they would look like if I took them to be professionally printed.

The problem is, I'm still in college and can't afford anything more

expensive than $225 or so. Any suggestions on the best printer to

fit my budget?

Check out the Epson.com website, go to the 'clearance' section and you will find several perfectly good refurbished models for as little as $59 for an 820 including free shipping, a set of ink cartridges, no tax and a free cable which is pretty hard to beat. There are more upscale models too - $119 gets you a 925 and $199 gets you a 960. All come warranted for a year. However, you should budget quite a few $$$ for consumables like ink and paper.

If I were you I would get an inexpensive personal laser printer for documents ($150 or so), and hand over my photos for printing by Costco/Wal-Mart or the like on a digital enlarger.

Laser printers are far cheaper to operate in the long run than inkjet printers because inkjet cartridges are incredibly expensive. Photos made on a digital minilab are usually cheaper and more durable than inkjet prints, as well as offering better quality than entry-level inkjet printers.

For $225 you can get a Canon s9000 and print up to 13x19". It's an old model (the current one is the i9000d), but it's still faster and quieter than the Epsons. Quality is comparable -- I think the s9000 has an edge over the 1280 on glossy paper. You won't be able to see the dots. Actually, if you want a more in-depth evaluation of the quality, you should look at www.luminous-landscape.com, which has a full review.

A Canon i960 is under $200 new and in my humble opinion gives results comparable to any professional print. It is also very fast for a photo printer (>3000 nozzles with 2 picoliter droplets). However the maximum size it can handle is 8.5x11 or A4. It is a 6 ink printer (non-pigment inks).

Thanks.

Hany.

Hello,

I'd recommend (highly) the Epson photo 825 (or the 820 which is a little cheaper, lacks printing directly from CF card and uses a slightly more expensive ink cartridge, I believe).

According to Epson, the problem with the printheads clogging has been resolved by the machine capping them when turned off. Who knows. I've had my 825 for a month or so and have been in love and have had no problems whatsoever with the machine. Yes, it prints rather slow, and some may say a bit loud -- but the print quality is fantastic. I would say it is better than prints I've obtained from the lab!

Color cartridges for the 825 run about $19 from Walmart (I've done eight 8 x 10's, one 5 x 7, and numerous 4x6's and am still on the original cartridge, though it is getting down there!)

And the printers are cheap: $59 for a refurbished 820, from the Epson website, or $99 for a new 825 from Target, Wally World, etc.... Why spend more for a printer when you don't have to?

Good luck...

Rich

Thanks for all your advice. I think I've settled on spending a little more money to get a printer/scanner/copier combo; the one I've decided to buy is the Epson Stylus Photo RX500. Your comments definately steered me toward Epson and Canon, without you guys I would've probably settled on an HP or something of that sort. If you've got any comments or tips about the RX500, let me know!

Thanks again,

Kelci

I don't know any particulars of that all-in-one but assume they are getting better (and don't know if it's a full photo printer - 6 or 7 colors versus 4). There is a risk with an all-in-one that any failure means all broken as well or at least loss of use while getting a section fixed.

The other thing I would consider, along the lines of what Mazel suggested, is that while an ink jet can be used for general purposes and a photo inkjet can be used for general printing as well, the consumables are pricey (both inks and good photo paper) and that if you need lots of text, a laser printer can be a cheaper alternative. FWIW, I used an Epson Photo 750 for general work but two different laser printers for most of my text while doing some graduate work. I had a separate scanner but seldom used it and have never really tried using the fax capabilities.