What am I missing to complete my line-up? (wedding and nature photography)

Okay listen!! I have this luxery-problem (don?t we all in the western

world). I have the following line-up

Nikon F-65+MB17

Nikon F-80+MB16

Nikon F-100+MB15

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED

Sigma AF 15-30/3.5-4.5 EX Asf. DG

Nikkor AF 28-80/3.3-5.6 G

Nikkor AF 50/1.8 D

Nikkor AF 70-300/4.0-5.6 ED D

Nikkor AF 85/1.8 D

Sigma AF 100-300/4.0 APO EX (HSM)

The problem I have is that I will spend my holidays in the Swiss-Alps

and that I will have to shoot a wedding within a short period of

time. I guess I am getting nervous, and need to spend money to fill

my gap in zoom-range. I have this feeling I am lacking quality-

optical performance in the mid-zoom range. The problem is that I am

not a miljonair, but more of a junkie in bying stuff for this

expensive hobby I choose. Do you think my problem is more

psychological and need to speek to dr. Phil; do I need to train my

eye and not focus on some luxory-zoom-range-problem, or should I go

broke and need to buy more expensive high-tech-gear, like the Nikkors

2.8 AFS 17-35 and AFS 28-70

I'm going to say Dr. Phil. This really sounds like a Nikon Question. All you really need is a good box, good lens, maybe fill flash for extreme need & some good film. Everything else is redundancy~insurance~compensation. If It makes you feel better to spend more money~ Knock yourself out...;)...J

With all of that gear I think you might be better off paying someone to carry all of it for you. However, to answer your question with a question, did you forget to list a tripod? If so, then that would be my suggestion as to what to spend money on.

Try switching to a philosophy of quality instead of quantity.

Mainly in the lens department.

There are some outstanding Nikon lenses. You own none of them (except maybe the 50).

Suggested for consideration:

17-35/2.8 (better than Canon's version); 28/1.4 (this is an Asph lens and a real sleeper);

84/1.4 ( a legendary lens), 85/2.8 T/S Macro, (the best of it's kind available from anyone);

105 or 135/a DC ( I miss mine badly).

Any or all of the above will visibly improve the quality of your images (but not the quality

of your eye).

The only possible solution to your conundrum is to sell all your Nikon stuff, or perhaps donate it to a charity for the tax write-off.

Pick up 3 Leica MP bodies and a set of their latest lenses from 21 to 135mm, because they're about as sharp and contrasty as you can find, and yet they still retain the distinctive "Leica look". Then get another set of late sixties/early seventy vintage lenses for their unbelievably smooth bokeh and the "classic look" they'll give to your black and white photos. If you must have some longer glass get both the current 180/3.4 and an older 180/2.8 for the same reason. Try to locate a mint Leicaflex SL2 body because a lot of Leica nuts will tell you that the entire R line up that followed "just isn't the same".

Dr. Phil will cease to be a consideration at that point because you won't even be able to afford bus fare to the free mental health clinic, but your photos will look fantastic!

I'm a canon man, so please feel free to ignore me, I would trade in your F65, 28-80 and 70-300 for a 28-70 f2.8 AFS. I can't see why you would need 3 bodies for wedding of landscape, the 28-70 is horribly, horribly sharp and as you have the 85mm and 100-300 you won't have any more overlap vaused by the 70-300.

If you still can't afford the Nikon 28-70, want to keep the F65 and as you don't seem to be prejudiced against sigma, the 28-70 f2.8 EX from sigma is still availible for Nikon, and for weddings, is as sharp as I ever need.

This question is like, "Should I buy an engine lathe or a cement mixer?" Tools are an enabling item for doing something specific. Wedding photography is no longer a specific type of photography with a standard "tool kit". Until you know what style and look that you are trying to achive it's not possible to know what tools you need.

I know I don't need good stuff for being a good photographer, since I am already A very Good Photographer. I just felt like I needed some more zoomrange to zoom in when the weddingcouple are going for the KISS or the RING. Don't want to change lenses all the time..... and dont want to walk around too much. Then again my Sigma 15-30 is tack sharp but I mis the option of using a polarizer and gradient filter (for when hiking in the mountains). The advice for selling the F65+ is a good one (since my upgrade I never used that gear no more), but I would still end up with a bill of 1000+ euro and still be drooling over the 2.8/28-70. Of course I could limit my self with the 2.8/24 + 1.8/85 but wouldn't help myself finding 'missing' something.

I think i need a AFS 2.8/28-70....... (I know my girlfriend doesn't think so, but I am a slide fanatic)

The Nikon 28-70 AFS is great for candid people photography, in fact you'll probably use it for the majority of your wedding shots. However, if this is the only wedding you are doing and you don't get into candids that much, how about the Nikon 35-70/2.8 AFD. It's still a pretty fast lens that's about $600 cheaper. If you don't already have them you'll want a flash, tripod and cable release as well.