EPSON 4870 - sample scan

do you have any FULL sample images of 35mm film? that would be really cool. and also do you have any full samples from other cheaper flatbed film scanners? :D ive been having trouble finding good examples to help me decide which scanner i want to get. i will be using the scanner for 35mm negatives and mostly for web and maybe 5x7 because eveyrone says 8x10 is stretching it. im in the 200 dollar price range.

Roughly in the same class with my epson 3200, although I tend to get better scans from color negatives than positives, go figure...anyway, the image quality seems a bit better, no obvious color-fringing and if the ICE works well and the speed is there, this offers a nice set of improvements to the 3200 (although I won't be switching.)

Evan, these scanners are most useful if you shoot large format or at least medium format. If you only shoot 35 mm, a flatbed might be useful for making digital contact prints, but a dedicated film scanner is better (I've never been happy with the 3200's quality with 35 mm.)

Yuri: The range of tones seems richer than I would expect from the E3200. The resolution seems better. I'd be concerned about more empty pixels that clutter the hard drives without any real benefit, however in this scan resolution does seem OK. HAve you made scans on both the E3200 and the 4870 so that they can be compared side by side? That would be interesting. Quite a nice shot too, thanks for posting.

I got it some days ago and it really is ok with MF.

The 4870 was tested to have something like real 1700 dpi resolution and about 2000 dpi with slight sharpening applied. That´s plenty for MF and good value for the money. Haven´t tried 35mm yet and probably won´t.

Colorwise the scans from positive film are very good and no problems with highlights/shadows or noise. It´s certainly not worse than the Agfa 2500t i used to have. I´m not sure it´s really better than the 3200 but the resolution is probably somewhat higher (by about 200-300 dpi, i guess).

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great!

This is the first actual example I've seen of medium format film results with this scanner. Always good to see how something performs under the same conditions as I will use it.

I'm still wondering about a few things, mainly if the included film carrier includes the entire negative? (I was about ready to pre-order a Nikon ED9000 when I noticed that it crops around 4mm off the negative.)

Also: If I get this scanner instead of the Nikon film scanner, I will have some money left. I'm very attracted to the new Polaroid NPC 195 (which by the way will be exactly 100% more expensive here than in the US). Does anyone have any experience scanning polaroid (665) negatives on an Epson flatbed scanner? Again I'm thinking of edges. I'm a sucker for those artsy jagged edges. :)

Thank you for the sample, Yuri!