need advice on starting out

Let me first start with my goal. I essentially want to set up an in-

home studio where I would focus on simple portraits (black and white)

using the Canon EOS Digital Rebel. My plan is to learn as much as I

can. I am planning on taking classes on general photography,

digital photography, an Adobe class, and potentially a studio

lighting class.

My questions- Am I going overboard with classes? What would

add/subtract or suggest. Budget is $1500 (classes not included)

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I wouldn't sign up for all the classes right now. Take one, then experiment with what you've learned. Then take another if you feel you need/want it. You may learn faster/slower than you anticipated, and your interests may vary along the way. You might want to consider a combined digital photography/photoshop course, though, since some PS classes are pretty advanced.

Most (if not ALL) of what you desire to know is in Photo.net's forum archives. The studio lighting class may be useful, and perhaps the same for Adobe if you prefer live-action to books, but so much is waiting to be discovered online. I'd hold off on the first two classes.

DI

My opinion for what its worth.Setting up a studio with strobe lighting can add up,you have cause to chew a toothpick. My advice would be perhaps to start with outdoor portraits this Spring as you learn basics. And take a general class as you learn the tricks of your camera. And second,a more advanced lighting class in your area of special interest. People,pets,products,landscape? Learning is often the most unbudgeted area as you anticipate. No,I don't think you can go oveboard on good classes. And the accessories you havent even thought about for your Rebel. Yet,if you are one who learns from books,maybe something like the Teach Yourself Visually books on Adobe products,(call 1-800-762-2974 for more info), will suffice for starters. Sometimes an inspirational teacher can do wonders. But get the mechanics down as cheaply as you can. Above suggestions, and the online shortcourses.com are free sites you can wander through. Good luck Steph.

Larry's comments are true, although you may not have sufficient access to the

profession in your locale in order to obtain an apprenticeship.

Before spending hard earned funds on cameras, I would begin with Ansel

Adam's "The Camera" (available at most camera stores or on the internet). His

prose is unequalled and very easy to follow. The basic information gleaned

there will serve you well, especially in portraiture even though he was and is

the master of the black and white landscape. John Sexton worked at his side

for many years, absorbing a lifetime of skills, but even at Sexton's best he is a

bit mechanical compared to Adams.

From The Camera you could move to almost any of the portrait books offered

to gain confidence in appropriate lighting strategies, subject management (or

lack thereof) and a myriad of other aspects to the field.

The difference between chemical and digital processing is a big one and the

guidance here at this site is as good as it gets as you progress to equipment

familiarization.

In the end, however, the best portrait is felt by the subject and then seen by

the photographer.

Only after these, does the camera get involved.

Take the general photography class... then go from there. Also, get a book... besides the one for your class, something that you like, or inspires you. I agree that the internet is a good source of info (photo.net has more than you can read... but try anyway) The class with help you get a feel for how photography has evolved, and give you some hands on skills, but don't forget to do your own studying... of images. Look through books, websites, galleries, and think about the qualities of the photos. I'll give you a tip: learn about light. In everyday life, look around, think about the light. Is it harsh and bright, soft and diffuse, and how does it work with the subject? Study natural light, then try creating different kinds of light in the studio (throw something together) Play with angles and camera/light positioning. If you use strobes (flashes) it's hard to judge how things will look, so use continuous light sources from similar positions. One more tip... relfectors, diffusers (or was that two tips?) Anyway, I've been serious about photography for about four years, and tried many things (landscape, nature, night, astro, ect.) but just recently became interested in portraiture, so I'm learning too, but I do understand light... if I could just understand people better.

No offense, but who would pay to have their portrait taken by a photographer using a Rebel? I mean, other than at the mall with Santa Clause? (I did this, and I want my $19.95 back!)

You might want to consider this: Buy a used film camera, a used film scanner, chemicals and equipment to develop film only (canister, bottles, thermometer), and you will have outstanding results that probably cannot be surpassed by an $7000 1Ds.

Developing B&W film is trivial. I do it in the washing machine room (changing film in the bathroom). I learned by reading the instructions on the box, and a cook-book type instruction manual.

I don't do prints, but I have paid to have custom prints made, and nothing can approach a Sepia toned fiber print mounted properly.

If you're really motivated, you don't need the classes. Buy books, read, and experiment (especially if you end up with the Digital Rebel). Talk to others for lighting recommendations. (I have used $6.99 300 watt halogen shop lights bounced on white from Home depot for B&W. Not exactly something you would want to use in a business, though).

But there is what huge benefit of going digital: you can experiment much less expensively and get instant feedback.

You have a huge goal to attain if you think about it. I agree, get "The Camera" and read it over and over. See what you can find at the library or bookstore on portrait photographers. Focus less on the technical and more on that which addresses on the work itself.

By all means, go for the Drebel and the best lens you can afford. Get the kit but add a 28-135 USM IS lens to that package. Many will disagree with me here but I've been pleased with mine. Get a 420EX flash and then learn to use these. You will also need a memory card. Get two 128 or 256mb Lexar cards and a card reader. I also reccomend a second battery and the battery grip if it suits your style.

A very real advantage to digital is it's low cost. You can shoot for free and print your own with a $100 printer with super results. When you have a decent understanding of light, look into some studio lights, backgrounds, reflectors and so on as well as working with existing light for location shots.

$1500 will get you in the door. You'll end up spending another $1500+ eventually on better lighting and other accessories. I don't know how deeply you are into photography now but there has never been a better time to take the plunge. There is more capability for less money than ever before. You'll learn a huge amount in class, much much more in the field. Have fun, most of us here certainly do.

Rick H.