"La monja" in studio

igord

Igor,

Thanks for the post again. It's nice of you to share your work.

Nice pose by the model. IMO - I wouldn't have cropped at her elbow (would've left space on the left. Also, I would've used the background to better effect - you're shooting in a corner of a room so I think it would be better to utilize the lines. One way to do this is to light one part of the background (the darker side of the model's face) and keep the other side of the background dark (the lighter side of the model's face). This is just my own taste and may be irrelevant to your case. Having said that - it's still an interesting shot - the model's pose is certainly the strongest element in this picture from the small triangular effect of her left arm on top to the larger triangular effect of her right arm - imagine if you had used the vertical line of the wall in the background wall and the lower horizontal lines of it also - do you think it would have enhanced the composition?

Two things. (1)Cropping. With the edge of the frame going through the elbow and the fingers it looks accidental (doubly so with the scarf over the fingers). Either give more room, or crop more tightly, but you've ended in no mans land. <p>

(2)Lighting from one side and putting the face in (partly) in shaddow does work, but it looks like you have the flash too close, and not diffused enough. You can have a look at <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1814157&size=lg">This one of mine</a> for the idea - I thought I had some other, better, ones uploaded, but apparantly not. I still got a bit of a hotspot because I had the model too close to the light.<p>

Once you get that right, you can the decide how much light (if any) you want to reflect into the face to reduce the shadow.

Igor, the dynamic range of your lighting has exceeded your media's capacity to record. That or your scanning isn't getting the complete range that your film has, or something. Hightlights are gone and the dark wardrobe is disappearing into the background.<p> Regarding composition, I think it's too tight on the left, and there's nothing going on at the right. Had you been able to bring the tone of the background up a bit, the right side would have enough visual weight to balance the frame. Bringing the highlights back to something would also help the balance of the composition. As it is, the blown highlights so close to the left edge and the murky shadows dominating the right side makes an image that's just too out of balance... t

Yeah, the scan is scr... up as usual.

Must scan it once more. I love not using fill. In the analog print you see some details in shadows. Just wanted to do someting like Rembrandt lighting (I shouldn't call his name...).

I used 2 silver umbrellas, one softbox and 3 large reflectors so it is all diffused.

Composition is done according to the classic painters, the dominant eye is in the middle of the picture (search through the archives someone wrote about it and left even a link).