Lens hood for Summicron 35mm?

Peter,

Although not a third-party item, I think the Leica lens hood and cover combo designed for the new 35mm ASPH, works great on the 4ed. You should try it at a store just to be sure as it needs to have the correct flange??? to work properly. If it fits, it's a gem as you can keep the hood & cover on all the time and just remove the cover when shooting.

Enjoy,

Al

I've used two different hoods on my 35mm Summicron-M ASPH - both work well.

<ul>

<li>The <strong>Leica #12585</strong> metal, vented, circular hood. Although the

hood clips on, you cannot reverse it due to the lens' focus tab. No problem though, leave

the hood permanently attached and use a 52mm clip-on lens cap when storing the lens.

<br> </li>

<li><strong>B+W #900</strong> rubber lens hood. Again this is circular but this time it

is also collapsible.</li>

</ul>

Generally speaking, I prefer to use circular hoods as I have found the standard rectangular

model (which comes with the 35mm ASPH) can cause too much lens flare when the sun is

near the hood's edge.

A caution on the suggestion that the the metal circular vented hood 12585 might

work on the 4th (pre-ASPH) 35/2. It may well work on the ASPH 35/2, as Andrew

says, but I can attest that it vignettes the pre-ASPH lens at wide apertures. I have this

hood and used it for many years on the 1st 35/2, but discovered it cuts the corners

off images of the pre-ASPH (4th). You might only notice if you print full-frame, and

might be able to get away with it altogether if you only shoot slides with mounts that

crop. Get the rectangular hood for this one, either the one they made for it, or the

current ASPH rectangular one.