Canon 600/4 IS "drop in" filter question

mark_lagrange3

Two questions:

1) Every Canon long lens has a generic piece of glass as the drop in

that comes with the lens. Every piece of extra glass that is

unneccessary promotes the opportunity for sharpness degredation.

Furthermore, I noticed some small nicks in my drop in glass. Would it

hurt anything to simply remove the glass from the cartridge? Is it a

bad thing to just leave the cartridge empty? The lens still appears

to be closed from all dust.

2)Same lens ... slightly different question. I have found that Canon

does make a polarizer for the 600/4 IS. However, I have not been able

to find a warming filter. The drop in cartridge is built for "popping

out" the glass that the lens comes with, but where do we get the

filters to put in. ...not B&H or any of the national guys. Does

anyone know who makes them.

It is my understanding that the drop in cartridge takes regular 52mm filters (as opposed to 48mm in the previous generation of EF super-teles), so you should be able to purchase any 52mm warm-up or polariser, and use it (although turning the polariser has got to be a pain....). Canon don't make a huge range of filters, so you'd need to look elsewhere for a warm-up. However, I could of course be wrong about the whole thing...

I have the 600mm IS. It appears that the standard drop in filter cartridge opens up to accept another optional thin gel filter on top of the existing one (don't ask where you get them....I have no idea). So I bought a regular B&W 81A coated glass filter (can't remember the exact size....probably about 58mm) and removed the glass filter from the aluminum/bronze frame. Because the 81A was about 3mm thick I then modified the Canon drop in filter cartridge so that it could close with the 81A sandwiched against the original filter. I now have the option of taking the 81A out whenever I want or leaving it in. I have seen no visible optical degradation (sharpness)with the 81A under all circumstances.

About the CPL....not sure. Maybe try a piece of 81A/B/C gel on top of the filter. I hardly ever use mine.

Clive

Canon make an accessory "Drop-in Screw Filter Holder 52" for their new IS telephotos. This allows you to use a standard 52mm threaded filter screwed into the filter holder. I often use a regular Tiffen 52mm 812 warming filter with the Drop-in Screw Filter Holder 52 on my 600IS when shooting wildlife. For a polarizer you really need the dedicated Canon Drop-in Circular Polarizer 52. It has a little wheel on the outside of the filter holder that is geared to turn the polarizer inside to make it easy and quick to get the desired polarzing effect. Now if you want a warming polarizer, that is a another problem. Two solutions include trying to attach a warming gel filter over the Canon Drop-in CP or sending Bob Singh (Singh-Ray Corp) a Canon Drop-in CP and have him remove the filter (smash the CP- since it is glued into the holder) and replace it with one of his warming CP filters. Or for those digtally inclined, use Photoshop to apply a warming effect afterwards. Hope this helps. John Merriman

• 1 year later...

This thread has not been added to in quite some time, but having run across it in a search I had a further question or three.

1)How "good" is the Canon drop in polarizer for their teles with drop in filters. I would presume that if they are offering it for lenses of this price it must be quite reasonable optically. I only ask because, normally speaking, I would not buy a Canon polarizer for my lenses. In this case though, if you want to be able to turn the polarizer while mounted internally there is not much choice. Anyone have experience with this filter?

2) I presume you can use any 52 mm polarizer with the screw in drop in tray. How much of a pain is it to hold the filter up already screwed into the tray, turn it to get the desired effect and then drop it in?

3) How useful is it to use a polarizer in a long tele for wildlife/bird photography?

• 4 years later...

The Canon drop-in polarizer has a tiny thumb screw on the external part of the filter to rotate the circular polarizer, so it is not much of a pain to rotate it.

Beware that the currently available PLC-52 does not fit the older 600mm/f4.0 lens (the previous version without IS). I now have a new filter unused which doesn't fit my lens to prove it. If anyone wants to buy it before I return it to B&H which will cost me shipping and a 15% restocking fee please speak up now. call me at 604-818-2251