A Nikon for street photography

gabri

If you want small and light, I think Todd, James, and Nuno have the answer for you: Nikon FG. Hell, cheap as they are (especially if you're considering Leica), buy two, one for parts. I also own the N/F75, and it IS small for an AF SLR. It's also surprisingly quiet, too--certainly not Leica quiet, and probably not FM3A quiet either, but the motors aren't very loud. Have fun!

Thius is going to sound bizarre, but I would recommend the F2. (of course I recommend the F2 for everything). The trick is to take off the finder and use a cable release. You usually won't have to worry about quiet. If there are any people there, there will be noise to cover any sound the camera might make.

My second choice would be the FE. Best low light body I ever used.

I have used Yashica TLR's, and they are great cameras. Affordable (except the overrated 124G) and very sturdy, but you lose the ability to change lenses and your collection of Nikkors would be gathering dust.

I also used to use a black Ricoh 500G. less versatile, but VERY small and VERY quiet.

Cheers,

Christopher

Can't say I know lots about street photography but it's what I try to do when I go outside-- 90% of the time I've found it's my conduct that's has the biggest impact on the picture, technical considerations falling where they should.

For me the FM2 works the best for me. The mirror slap on mine is quite noisy but I've heard audio recordings of other FM2s and I've come to conclusion that mine needs servicing to replace the rubber mirror dampener. An FM3A with Aperture priority might help in some grab situations but I've never come across any situation where I've had to fiddle for too long with aperture and shutter settings due to gross variation in lighting.

The FM2 is a pretty stable workhorse camera too-- coupled with the MD12 and a good auto flash and you'll have a very capable and cheap system.

The viewfinder is pretty average I'll admit; better than the current crop of DSLRs by a mile but falls flat compared to the F3HP. I prefer the LED meter than the match needle of the F3 and FM3A though.

If you wear cargo trousers you can dismantle an FM2/prime lens setup and stuff it in your pockets, no camera bag or any bag needed at all!