Rude photographers......

gary_g1

You mean to tell me while you're doing all that resampling and sharpening and layering and curving you've got to do in Phonyshop to make those digital shots look sort of like photography that you can't just clone the tourists out? I mean, what's another hour on the computer give or take?

LOL Jay!<BR><BR>

I guess I've been lucky for the most part in avoiding the rude people, although they do seem to be everywhere, be they bikers, hikers, birdwatchers, whatever. When I was in Florida on the boardwalk at Corkscrew Swamp last year, I had just got to the spot where you could see a red shouldered hawk. I couldn't bring my tripod on the trip, so all I had was the Minolta with the 100-300 zoom lens, hand held. Just as I was standing there watching for a couple of minutes, up come 2 photographers, loaded to the rafters with pro gear...600 mm lenses with teleconverters, huge tripods, fancy bags and vests..the whole nine yards. I smiled and said "good morning". The only response I got was them looking me up and down, looking at each other, and rolling their eyes at the sky. I thought, fine, be that way, and turned my back and stood my ground. I could hear them muttering behind me, as I was in the primo spot. I looked around with my binoculars, fiddled with the camera, took a couple grab shots of anoles...after about 20 minutes they finally grunted something about some other places to shoot and moved on. ALL they had to say was good morning and I would have moved out of the way<BR><BR>

The one who really ticked me off was the zoo ranger at San Diego zoo when I visited there in March. I had the same Minolta camera and lens, got in line to see the pandas and patiently waited, and moved along steadily with the crowd, taking my snapshots as we went. I did not stop and hold up the progress, there was long line behind us. There were, however, a few people with no cameras ahead of me who got to the end, milled around by the ranger, and held up the line. He very pointedly looked at me and said in a loud voice "if you've seen the panda you people with the cameras can move along and let other people have a chance to view it as well." I felt like yelling "If you would get these other morons to keep moving maybe those of us WITH the cameras can have some space to be ABLE to move along!" Just one example of how one jerk of a ranger can report back to the park authorities about "those photographers".

Interesting thread.

When I'm out taking pictures I really enjoy interacting with people, specially in street photography. If I were less shy I would take more of this kind of pictures since it makes me feel good when interacting with people and seeing their joy being photographed.

When doing landscape photography I act a bit more discreet and indeed don't like people in the pictures sometimes. But in my opinion, the way to avoid this is by moving around, taking the picture at another time. As a ultimate alternative, I guess it's ok to ask politely to someone to step aside, but I usually wait.

I usually enjoy speaking to people including other photographers at sites but i had one incident recently where a black crowned night heron arrived at the local park (threatened species where i am) and another photographer set up beside me with very professional gear and extremely chatty. He talked about how great his gear was, his amazing photos and so on. As i packed up to leave, he asked me how the escaped penguin managed to get to the park. At a loss for a moment, i realised he meant the heron. I told him it probably took the no. 33 bus. Got a good chuckle out of it. Sometimes it best to look for the humour when you can

Being a Brit I would never consider yellling at anyone. Yeah right! guess i've lived in NY too

long now.

Did no one see the stats on Michael Moores 'Bowilng for Columbine'?

With over 11,000 fire arm related homicides in the US every year i'm suprised anyone

would do something as stupid as yell rudely at another person.

And if you choose to yell at me? well I got all day I aint in no hurry.

Best wishes.