The Leica approach - what is it?

nzdavid

I have also read accounts concerning Cartier-Bresson being a pushy photographer. That says more of his personality than the brand of camera he used.

My observations are that here in the USA we have more obnoxious, loud, demanding, self-centered and whiney-assed specimens than other nationalities. We have Olympic-level morons when it comes to having any manners. And when our special little citizens travel, they display their lack of couth with absolute abandon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We Americans (note the lack of an appropriate adjective in English for people from the United States; after all anyone from Argentina to Canada is from "America") tend to think that the world revolves around the states. I have been abosolutely embarassed at some people that I have encountered whilst raveling who were from the States.

That is weird Lee, I've noticed the same thing and can spot them a mile away. Another phenomena is the peculiar placing of other nations flags onto their backpacks and luggage while away from home.

Thank God, then, that only 10 per cent or some such piddling number of

Americans actually own a passport. Truth be told, though, while America

produces some of the most ignorant tourists, it produces some of the most

intelligent ones too. Many a time when I've been looking at Renaissance

paintings in the Uffizi or the Accademia I've been staggered by the insight of

those elderly or youthful Yanks discussing the art (maybe those who can

afford an education get the best one in the world). But as for those who

frequent the Sistine Chapel, forgetaboutit.

<<My observations are that here in the USA we have more obnoxious, loud, demanding, self-centered and whiney-assed specimens than other nationalities. We have Olympic-level morons when it comes to having any manners.>>

Yep. They come to Florida from New Yawk every fall.

not to add to the US-bashing, but there is an old saying:

"If you speak 3 languages, you are trilingual. If you speak 2 languages, you are bilingual. If you speak 1 language, you are American".

All and all, I don't thing Americans travel worse than any other nationality. Some people "knows" how to melt in, others don't or don't care to. Because of the sheer size of the US population and their relative financial wealth, you simply tend to meet more Americans at popular tourist spots around the world and therefor run into a higher % of 'stand-outs'.

Now tell me you cannot spot a Japanese or German tourist a mile away...

Sorry, I think the question was kinda hooey in the first place. "You

are the photographer. Impose yourself"- what has this got to do

with taking pictures?- in total you asked five questions in your

post, David, and I can't see the point of one of them. It sounds

like you were bored. I'll give you one thing tho- "the leica

approach" sounds like the title of an article you could sell to the

LHSA. "And one more thing: is it just a fad, or are shadows no

longer acceptable; must all lighting be made even through the

universal use of flash? "- what on earth are you talking about?

<i>Truth be told, though, while America produces some of the most ignorant tourists, it produces some of the most intelligent ones too</i>

<p>

I'll second that. Many a time I've been stuck in some far flung place desperate for a bit of western culture and up pops an American, invariably a Texan, and you couldn't wish to meet a more witty, generous and wise companion.<div>008mDn-18680584.jpg.34899b96f544b26ccb51cd16b8ea744f.jpg</div>

<<"If you speak 3 languages, you are trilingual. If you speak 2 languages, you are bilingual. If you speak 1 language, you are American".>>

Aujourd'hui il n'est qu'un cretin qui ferait cette generalisation bete, surtout en face des grands nombres d'americains qui parlent l'espaniol.

yeah, those Germans...ever been to a beach in Europe and notice them run out at dawn with their towels and leave them there until a more favorable part of the day when they want to return and part the crowds like the red sea? And man, those British on European beaches too...big sausage and beer bellies propped up by chicken legs with burnt red on white skin sporting their cheap faded tattoo's...who else can we slag?

<<I've been stuck in some far flung place desperate for a bit of western culture and up pops an American, invariably a Texan, and you couldn't wish to meet a more witty, generous and wise companion>>

I can think of just the Texan I'd like to see flung to that far place.

Having traveled (actually to live and work) in 30 int'l locations, I would concur with several "subjective" observations with Mendenhall. Most Americans (US) are either the elderly or students. They demand western style accommodations and diet (read McDonalds). Most don't immerse into the culture and stay together in their clicque. In addition, they're so noisy when the locals want relaxation and silence.

Aussies and Kiwi's are great party companions (and people), although, I have never worked with them (less interested in money than life, I supposea).

Kevin also failed to mention the Brit's, whom without fail, (IMHO) cheat the expat condition of their empoyment to make the most money.

First reply was right - nationalities don't matter. I'm a Kiwi, and I'm not having a go at

Americans, some of whom are the most generous people I have ever met. Equipment isn't

the point either - though those whopping great SLRs certainly must look intimidating to

lots of subjects. I wonder also if standing back and using a long lens may sometimes be

less obtrusive than getting in people's faces with a wideangle. I'm genuinely interested in

learning about people's approach to photography - what's intrusive, what isn't. I have

watched lots of pros at work. Most are unfailingly courteous. But the picture-taking

process can be extremely time-consuming. I did enjoy some of the responses above, even

the off-the-wall ones. Remember, we're all individuals! "I'm not," said one small voice. (To

quote Monty Python.)

Tourists are all the same. People in a crowd are all the same, that might be more precise. Individuals do behave quite well in general, but when the group reaches a critical mass (3 persons maybe?) eduction and manners tend to go overboard. More than 10 persons usually reminds of the huns invading the world, more than 100 is like a hurricane.

To see the lowest possible degree of civilisation and culture, it is good to wait for an english football team to come to town, and then run for cover before the hooligans arrive. (The players are cool, I'm talking about the fans). I always wonder how Monty Python and the hooligans can be from the same planet, let alone the same country or even city. In england the people seemed very pleasant and friendly, perhaps it is a metamorphosis when being abroad and in large crowds?

Not that bad, but close, are the mediterranean party islands, like Mallorca. Here the germans rule, I don't know how they come back to work and family after vacations without fearing that one of these tapes they made would ever show up. Talking about occupying space with towels, that must be the remnants of an old nasty habit acquired in the early 40s of the last century. I remember a local shoving the towles aside and having a seat, the germans showed up angriliy and claimed "this is occupied!". The local replied very calm "no, not anymore. That was until 45".

In general the tourist seems to be unaware of the fact that the rest of the world is not a theme park made for his entertainment and disposal, and the "natives" are not employees of the theme park but people who happen to live there. That holds true even for Mallorca and Venice, but I could imagine that they have given up Mallorca by now.

As for pro photographers, to be honest, they never bothered to photograph me (or anything in my surroundings), and I don't think they will anytime soon, so I have absolutely no experience. Cab and truck drivers many times are a major PITA in traffic, however.

Stephen, judging other cultures that differ from yours is like critquing art. Of course we are all different, even similar race within the same culture have different personalities. I would suggestion ease up on those that looks, and behaves differently from us. Trust me, once the barrier is broken, we are all quite similar.

FWIW, Alfred Eisenstadt, who used Leica throughout his long and distinguished career, could apparently adapt to any situation to get the photos he needed. In most cases, he shot quietly but in others he would interact with his subjects to the degree necessary to bring them out.

When I shoot weddings or events, the best compliment someone can pay me is that they "don't even remember the pictures being taken". Well, that and a nice big print order. ;o) But my goal is to play my role and intrude as little as possible on an event.

My two cents worth.