quality of Toyo 45CF

benny_spinoza

I remember reading some posts on this camera when it first came out,

where some claimed that the build quality of some of the hardware

was poor. Now that some time has elapsed, are there any users with

comments about the build quality? Has it improved? Or perhaps it was

never really bad to begin with?

BTW: I shoot medium format, and am thinking about getting into LF.

thanks

I have handled but never shot film through the CF. Having said that, I have also spoken to the rep that deals with the school that I teach at and he gave me some good info about this camera.

First of all, the build quality is quite good. The camera is very light and with that comes a few issues. Both he and I believe that the camera in the hands of someone who will take care of it will serve the photographer quite well and will produce as good a photograph as any other camera. Like any other piece of photo equipment, it will break if you force things far enough. This camera won't tolerate ANY forcing at all.

The college I teach at had intended to use it as an alternative for students in my large format classes. Some kids just can't take lugging around a 30lb case. However, this camera is NOT intended for student check-out. It simply cannot take the abuse.

The weight issue is a two edged sword. It is very light which makes transporting it through the hinterlands a pleasant experience. However because of its weight, it is very suseptible to movement. Long exposures in windy conditions are not its strong suit.

For someone who spends their own money to buy this will probably take care of it and not try to force things. (Folding the camera into its closing position can be tricky.)

Is it a good camera? Yes. Is it a well made camera? Yes. Is it the right camera for you? Only you can say.

My suggestion would be to go to your dealer and get your hands on it. Open it up. Turn a few knobs. Put a lens on it. If possible, shoot a sheet or two through it. Then decide.

Best regards,

Randy

Hi, Benny,

I also went from Medium format (RB67) to Large (4x5), and I imagine you have seen all the related posts in photo.net...but it seems that the three cameras at the $600 +/- price point (new) are the Toyo, the Tachihara, and the Shen Hao.

The Toyo is lightest, but lacks some rear movements that the others have. For me, I wanted movement features and sturdiness, so went with the Shen Hao (purchased from Badger Graphic, which was a good idea). After I fill my field pack with lenses, meters, filters, accessories, I don't know if a couple extra pounds for the Shen Hao would make much difference for me, versus a lighter camera.

Good luck in your choice!

Robt.

I've never used the CF but from the ads that show its movements and comments others have made I understand that it has no back movements. That to me is a big disadvantage unless you knew you would never use it for anything other than portraits and maybe landscapes (though back movements can be useful there as well). One of the basic movements with a large format camera is pointing the camera up to include the top of something (building, tree, flag pole, whatever) in the photograph and then tilting the back so that the film is parallel to the subject, thereby keeping parallel lines of the subject parallel in the photograph. If you can't make that movement you are, IMHO, losing one of the big benefits of a large format camera. Front rise can do the same thing but only to a limited extent. For about the same price as the CF you could get either a Tachihara or a Shen Hao, both of which are more versatile than the CF.

I do own a Toyo 45CF. It is an excellent camera. Personally, I don't have any qualms about

the build quality. I don't know how it would pass the student test - but students do a lot of

stupid things and you probably won't be subjecting your personal camera to that stress. At

first I thought the lack of movements would be a problem. It turns out that I don't use

extreme movements as much as i thought - the front standard has plenty of flexibility for

me.

I think its an excellent starter camera to get into 4x5 with. If you find it limiting you, you

can move up to something else. Otherwise, it will last a lot of people a long time.

One of the most common criticisms of the 45CF is its lack of rear movements. However, I noticed that the Toyo website claims it has rear tilt, though not the other common rear movements. Does it actually have rear tilt, or is this an error on the website? Thanks!

There is a back movement similar to the graphics where you can hyper extend the back by pressing on the bed struts and pushing the body back (15 degrees fixed?). This is probably useful for drop bed with the 75mm lenses or you can do a rear tilt and adjust the front (tilt, rise, fall) to get this rear tilt to the degree you want. It is probably not as easy as on a monorail, but still possible I think.