My GF and I are planning to be in the region for 3-weeks in Feb. and

March from US and would love to hear your advise. Anything you can

offer will be greatly appreciated (what to see, where to go, what

precausion we should have beside common sense, what the weather will

be like, etc.).

Yes, i have been travelling quite a bit so it is not a beginner

lesson I am trying to get here. I will be mainly interested in

photographing people and the culture.

ps. anyone on this forum is native from that region?

Thanks.

I wanted to go to Machu Pachu (to lazy to go look up the correct spelling) while I was there but I only had a weekend. I was told by customers that quick trips could by very dangerious and that you needed to give yourself time to aclimitize to the thin air. They recomended stopping once overnight on the way up.

I visited the southern highlands of Peru this last summer. We spent about 6hrs in Lima and then flew to Arequipa- beautiful city and climate. From there you can visit the colorful Monistary - Santa Catalina and then check out Andean Condors at Canyon De Colca (sp??). I really enjoyed our last town at the canyon - Cabonaconde - it was definately traditional mountain culture.

Next went to Puno and explored the Islands of Lake Titicaca at over 12000 ft. Checked out the floating islands - Uros but even better was an overnight stay on Anatani with a family - excellent for portraits - great people.

From Puno we traveled to Cusco and explored the Sacred Valley and Machu Pichu. Machu Pichu is beautiful and well preserved but getting there can be hectic being South America's most popular destination.

Our adventure really began when we went trecking around Perus highest southern peak - Asangati (sp?) Again a long ride on a public bus on dirt roads - dusty dusty - but onc we arrived the views were spectacular.

One thing I discovered was that not surprisingly Peruvians are not big on having their pictures taken. Usually they are are more than willing for 1.00 or so but these photos don't always look natural. My best portraits were from people I met either trecking or on the bus.

Next I want to visit Bolivia but my wife prefers we bike through Italy.

My sister and her business partners went to Peru to shoot a commercial for

Toyota and got detained while traveling by some police authorities who were

looking for a bribe. I don't think she ever plans on going back. Per her story, I

don't think I'd be announcing myself as a prosperous gringo.

Cuzco / Sacred Valley area is excellent. Plenty of markets to photograph.

Would also suggest visiting lake titicaca. Overnighting on one of the islands is well worth it. The views can be spectacular and you can get some great pics of the locals.

I personally found the tour of the salt Lakes from Salaar de Uyuni in southern Bolivia to be amazing, though it was for the scenery rather than any cultural reasons.

Other people told me the towns of Sorata and Potosi were well worth visiting but I can't say personally.

Just be careful while travelling. Be most aware in the major tourist centres, and at border crossings, bus/train stations. Old news, but unfortnately still valid.

Hope you have a great time

All the best, G

definetally never let your camera gear out of touch. try to keep it out of site as well. we met many people who had stuff stolen but mostly in overhead racks on buses or putting a bag down for a moment.

Cusco, machu pichu and the sacred valley are great put very touristy. it is difficult to get pictures in machu pichu without people in them.

arequipa and colca canyon is good too. great for condor photos.

Lake titicaka is interesting but a little over rated.

the town of puno is crap but the floating islands are interesting. copacabana is a nicer town to stay in. Island of the sun is nothing speacial.

La Paz is worth a look. Amazing.

if you have time in bolivia a trip to rurrenabaque to the jungle is great. fly if you can as the bus trip is hell. Flights only $50 US

Uyuni and the salars are also great for photos.

3 weeks will be tight.

i would suggesting doubling the time.

If you go to Macchu Picchu walk from Agua Calientes (where the train from Cusco stops). That way you get a much better sense of the place. Takes a couple of hours and is hot so take water, and start early (it's tough, but worth it). You can get the bus from Agua Calientes but people who do miss out half the Macchu Picchu experience and scenery.

As far as Bolivia goes - have a look at Bolivia on www.fco.gov.uk before you go - I was there in September and there were a LOT of demonstrations. I think the situation has got worse since too.

In Bolivia we found everyone camera shy - ask permission first. They will probably say "no" but you never know. Certainly, don't try and take a picture without asking - they REALLY don't like cameras and clicking tourists and you can clear a busy square in La Paz in about 10 secs by producing a camera.

Also, don't advertise your wealth - commonsense, but remember the average earnings in Bolivia are really low and a wealthy foreigner with an expensive camera is going to attract attention.

Finally, get used to the altitude - La Paz is high and you will be breathless quickly. You also dehydrate quicker so take water.

and have a great time!

Steve

Machu Picchu is stunningly beautiful (but go up on the first bus from Aguascalientes which is very near by to take advantage of far fewer people at 7am, sun-rise or atmospheric mist shots, etc). There's no real people interest there in comparison to Lake Titicaca .... Titicaca presents lots of opportunities to take photos of indigenous people living there. In general, all of them are happy to be photographed if you pay or buy something off them.

I also particularly enjoyed Arequipa and the journey across the altiplano to the Colca Canyon (where the Cruz del Condor is, for example). You'll see some "people photo interest", but not as much as Lake Titicaca.

I'd agree with the comments about the salar south of Uyuni ... the Laguna Verde and Laguna Roja (green and red lakes) represent the most spectacular scenary i've ever witnessed, but again, you're in the middle of nowhere and won't find quite so many "people" photo opportunities.

Enjoy Peru - it's a wonderful country.

I have not been to Peru, but only to Bolivia, where I spent a month, just on the

altiplano. I agree you will be rushed for time, so will have to be selective. I agree

with those who said the Salar is a must-see. It is probably irrelevant, given your tight

schedule, but I disagree with the comment dismissing Isla del Sol in Lake Titicaca. It

would be near the top of my list for Bolivia. But to each his own. Some of my Bolivia

pictures are on my site at http://www.pbase.com/zuiko40, although I haven't got my

Salar pictures there yet.

Altitude!

Look after yourself. You will experience very high altitude of 5000m at some points. Arriving at cusco (from 500m above sea level in lima) will knock the wind out of you so be sure to rest for at least two days before you go charging up any higher. Sample the coca tea this does help and drink plenty of water. Once you have aclimatized you should be Ok. when in cusco, I strongly advise that you check out tres cruzes near puercatambo (Sp?)you can arrange a trip from any tour booth in cusco if you don't want to brave the local buses. the sunrise is the strangest and most beautiful I have ever seen and you can see as far as the amazon rain forest (Manu)I also recomend going in winter or the dry season. It's cold but no rain just blue sky (May-sept I think)

good luck and have fun

I'm green with envy

In Peru, Iquitos is a wonderful place to be. A plane will bring you from Lima. There is no road. It is a weird, isolated, very colonial place, close to the start of the Amazone river. So there is good food, a pictoresc Malécon, water, animals, Jungle, Indians, Bélèn, and adventure. And... not that many Gringo's... Pevas, some day's down the river, is special too...

In Bolivia i would suggest to go to Salar de Uyuni, wonderful, wonderfull nature, Like mountains, lakes, salt lakes, animals... Sucre is nice too, pretty high... See my site for pictures. www.florisandrea.com Have a good trip, floris.<div>007AGD-16266784.thumb.jpg.06a2284957b7da78e111423387840d0f.jpg</div>