everything while sightseeing, and so will have to take the pack off

and remove the camera bag every time I want to change lenses or

something.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Chris

Chris a lot of hostels nowadays have lockers for storing any valuable

equipment in when people are staying there. Failing that some of the bigger

railway stations should have lockers too. It would be worthwhile carrying a

small padlock to use in hostels, although some might be coin operated.

Sounds like a good plan though, no point in carrying around too much

luggage with you, if there is an alternative.

It would be useful to have an up to date International Hostelling Card, i.e. join

your own country's national hostelling association and it will have reciprocal

links with those in other countries. The official hostels should all be well run

and of a good standard, which is not something that you can say about some

of the independent hostels that you will come across. Although, some will be

good, just the luck of the draw.

Just make sure that your insurance is up to date. Whilst most people you will

meet will be honest, it would only take one thief to ruin your holiday and to

many people a bag filled with expensive camera gear is always going to be a

temptation, especially in a busy hostel with lots of people coming and going.

I backpacked around Germany & Austria back in 1994 (as a 50+ year-old backpacker!) At times you will be stuck with the backpack while sight-seeing e.g. if you stop off for sight-seeing at various places along the way to your next "base". In my case I was carrying a small tent so my back-pack was enormous.

Be careful your camera bag is never separate from yourself. If you aren't actually carrying it have an arm through the strap or if you have to place it on the ground put your foot through the strap. The biggest risk is the con trick. I speak from bitter experience as my camera bag containing Rolleiflex, Horizon Panorama Camera and Video Camera was taken from under my nose near the Amsterdam Bus Station on the way back to England. I had put my camera bag on top of my backpack which was on the ground while I read the menu in the window of a restaurant. A young man approached me with a piece of paper on which was written an address and asked me if I knew where the place was. My attention was taken for a few moments and his friend who was hiding around the corner grabbed the camera bag and ran. In retrospect I should have had a way of attaching the camera bag to the back-pack in such a circumstance. Luckily I had removed all exposed films and was carrying them in the back-pack so only lost the shots that were actually in the cameras. Make sure your equipment is insured!!! Record all the serial numbers and keep separate from your camera bag.

Have a great trip. Hopefully you will have none of the problems I had.

If you want any more advise please contact me.

Ray Osmotherly Canberra Australia

Chris,

I don�t want to spoil your mood but tourists are big targets�.

Trust no one, including fellow backpackers.

Be careful in subways & on buses.

Best to go out with someone who is interested in photography & take turns taking photos so that you can check each other�s �six o�clock�.

Are you sure you want to carry all those gears around? How about a light SLR with a zoom lens or rangefinder? Stone paving & summer heat will wear you down. After all you are there not only to take photos but also to experience other cultures.

Read/research on travel photography & Europe (Lonely Planet etc.)

Enjoy yourself! I wish I am there again.

Regards,

Koi

Chris,

You have got to be really carefull! Europe is about a 100-times as criminal as the US! I know, I'm from Holland :-)

(the bitter truth is that the most recent crime survey by the department of justice in Holland showed that crime levels now are approaching American standards).

Now for the serious part of the question.Your holiday will be totally ruined if you have to carry around a full size backpack around all the time, better to stay at home that way.

So I would suggest that you find a smaller pack/bag to carry your valuables, including your camera equipment on sight seeing trips. Keep in mind that in some museums no bags are allowed. The suggestion of using lockers in railway stations or airports is a good one. I'm not shure what the situation will be in hostels. You can probalby find very cheap accomodation (single room with a lock on the door) in Greece and Turkey, where you can leave your pack in your room.

You will be quite-very safe in rural parts. In crowded areas always keep an eye on your belongings and if possible keep physical contact: tourists are easy prey all around the globe no matter if you are in New York or Rome.

Hey, I bought a small camera for backpacking because I think 35 mm stuff is too big :-)

Be aware of the "cut & grab" thief. I carry my gear in a Lowe fanny pack and I have a STEEL cable with clips that goes around my waste that is a "dummy cord". Should someone try to cut the Lowe waist strap the steel cable prevents it from being stolen.

I made the cable myself for about $3 at Ace Harware out of thin steel cable, some clips and a could of tiny clamps. Took all of 10 minutes to put together.

• 5 weeks later...
All of the above are sound and useful information/suggestion. May I add that it is totally possible (and extremely rewarding) to have a medium format SLR system on hand while touring Europe. I did exactly that last year carrying a lightweight yet versatile Bronica ETRsi body (and 2 film backs) with the amazingly sharp PE 50mm/2.8 and PE 100-220/4.5 zoom. I also brought along a graphite monopod and a small Vivitar flash light. These (and plenty good old Fuji Provia 100 & 400 F film) were all I needed to capture the majestic scenes and architecture in all their glory and glamour all over Prague, Viena, Florence, Venice, the Tuscany hilltowns, Rome, Paris and Berlin. The sheer quality and flexibility of 645 (or 6X6) is overwhelming compared to 135-format yet my Bronica system was still managable in terms of weight and bulk. Security is indeed a big concern especially in some cities but common sense and a little luck is all you'll need for your valuables (e.g. Bronnie) to survive the sometimes hostile environment. Please do leave all your pro-looking-mountain-climbing backpacks behind in lockers at train stations and dress really modestly. Wear an unassuming shoulder bag (must be waterproof) for your camera and lenses and forget about your Domke or Tenba bags. They make great targets for grap-and-goers. Finally, adopt an open mind (don't get stuck in the photo-assignment mind-set), be creative (shoot some B&W but not postcard-like images), be vigilant (help each other in your group out) and have a wonderful time!