The other Katmai

louis_greene

I read about another place that is great for Bear Viewing, nearly as

good as Katmai. It is supposed to be a short boat or plane ride from

Anchorage. (A few hours maybe, but no where near the distance of

Brooks Falls. Does anyone know the name or location of such a spot?

(I should have saved that article!!)

Louis,

The place you are thinking of may be Hallo Bay (or Halo Bay).

It is in the same vicinity as Katmai & McNeil River, but it is privatley owned. Similar to Katmai, people go to the lodge for fishing and bear viewing.

Charles Glatzer runs photo tours up there. His company is called Shoot the Light and he may have some info on his website. (his website maybe called www.shootthelight.com).

There are some other areas on Kodiak and Admiralty Islands that are popular bear viewing spots. There are also areas on the coast of Katmai. There is another area that is much lesser known. Someone was killed there a couple of years ago and it got some press then, but I don't remeber the name of the area. However, I don't think is was a "short" ride from Anchorage, in fact I think it may be closer to Juneau.

Good luck

Kevin Ferris

You likely are thinking, or have heard of, Wolverine Lakes. It is now officially managed to control the bear viewing boom and a heavy sport fishing usage and conflicts between the two. Yes, you can see bears there, and close, but I would not recommend it for serious photography. It IS closer and cheaper than Katmai Coast. There are a few lodges in the Illiamna area that have gotten into the bear viewing business but can be pricey.

Look at the Alaska Public Lands Information Center website - www.nps.gov/aplic/ and follow links to the State Fish and Game website and info.

Tom Walker