Canon EF 50-200/3.5-4.5L

ken_wong1

There are two versions of this lens, so it may very well be the "L" that Ken is referring to. You will not find a lot of info on this lens - I've tried. The price they sell for ($300 - $400 USD on eBay)suggests that they are extremely good but I can't believe they're as good or as useful as the 80-200mm f2.8 L which often go on eBay for $400 - $600 USD. Even a 200mm f2.8 L can be had for $400 - $450 on eBay. It would seem logical to assume that the 50-200 would be better than the 100-300 f5.6 L which is said to be quite good. Good luck!

Wrong again. It is in fact a Canon EF 50-200mm f3.5-4.5 L lens. They appear less often on eBay now. Over the previous 3 years I've seen about 8 of them. Check the Canon Museum at canon.com. I sure wish every manufacturer had a "museum"!

I tried this lens for a day, more or less a year ago, on a EOS Elan: very sharp lens, but I didn't buy for 1) slow and noisy focusing 2) price (the shop that had it was selling it for $375) 3) rotating front element. I ended up getting a 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 for less than half the price, and I'm very happy with it...

HTH,

Stefano

I also ended up with the 70-210 USM version.

The Canon 2x converters will not work with the 50-200 because of the protruding element, but a third party one will. Not sure if you will get any autofocus with the 2x on this lens. A third party 1.4 will give better results, but still no autofocus, I don't think. Take care.

Ken:

Optically excellent, ergonomically poor. Push-pull zoom design, AFD autofocus motor. Discontinued since, I believe, 1994. Very difficult to find, and like most lenses, overvalued on popular auction sites. Actual worth between $225-$300.

I had an ad up in the classifieds section to buy one last month. No responses.

DI

• 3 weeks later...

Ken, I have the "L" flavor one and have very much the same question as you.(paid about 2x used prices mentioned above...) It's a RARE lens whith a decent and useful zoom range. According to an old german test FoMa 3/1989 it is poor at the short end excellent/good (not outstanding) from 100-200mm. Another independent tester claims maybe better than any other canon L zoom lens in that range?!?

my own findings: On Fuji ASTIA 100F color rendition was slightly warm for olive green and dark blue fabrics. (On a tripod!) I get sharp pictures at close focus and at infinity distances. Through the viewfinder it looks very sharp!/contrasty? or is it dim? The lens-hood needs improvement, better replace is with a Kompendium. I will try to upload a test pic and post more findings in the next weeks, Rainer