to switch the lightmeter off (slide it down all the way) and push the

shutter release button for the second time in order to un-freeze the

camera. Can this be fixed easily? I can send the camera back I guess

but the shipping will cost so much that it wont be worth it. (The

camera literally travelled accross the world-the time difference

between where I am and where I bought the camera is 12 hours!) As I

said before other than this problem the camera is fine, cosmetically

and mechanically.

This is probably not what you want to hear...... the light meter switch stopped turning off by itself years ago in both my Spotmatics. I just turn it off by hand. I've heard the problem is general in Spotmatics, and this is the Achilles heel of an otherwise excellent design. If the rest of the camera works OK, I would let it be if I were you.

I have to confess that I didn't know the meter switch was supposed to return to the off position when the shutter is tripped. I've always pushed the meter on to check and set the exposure, and then turned it off manually before shooting so as to better see what I'm doing. So, the problem wouldn't likely worry me much, though I can understand how it might be a little bothersome in a camera you expected to be in perfect condition. Seems like a repairman familiar with the Spotmatic should be able to provide a pretty firm quote on fixing the switch.

The light meter switch is supposed to go back on it own!? I never knew that either. I had one where it actually worked, and a few where it didn't and I thought the one that worked was quirky. Is the freezing problem definitely related? Maybe it just needs some lighter fluid under the bottom cover on the shutter mover thing. What's that called? Will it stick on faster speeds too, or just slower speeds. There is probably just a spring connected to the light meter switch from the shutter that wore out, or maybe there is some dirt in there thats making it stick. If you can even get it so that it just stays on until you turn it off I would suggest keeping it... or giving it to me. -Peter

I had the Spotmatic CLAd today by a repairman who fixed my Yashica TL Electro X a week ago. He did a wonderful job, fixed the problem and returned the camera in less than 6 hours. And he charged me only (approx.) $25. I guess Turkey is a good place to have old cameras fixed. Now I am waiting for the PX400 wein cells to see if the meter is working as I was told when buying the camera.

First time I've heard that I can use something other than the Wein cells in my old Spotmatic. Yet another reason to keep these great old cameras going. Thanks.<br>    Berk, you didn't mention which lens you got with the camera. I think they're all good. Send along some pictures to show us what it will do.

I'm afraid Jay is handing out doubtfull information again, as is his habit.

The Spotmatic F has a bridge circuit and so can handle different batteries but the earlier Spotmatics use a straight-forward resistive circuit. You can adjust the sensitivity using the variable resistor that lives under the film reminder dial which is a partial fix to the problem.