Bald Eagles - Delaware River Area - NY & PA

Rick Waller

Funny that this post comes up because three days ago i was out shooting in the Manasquan Reservoir area (in central New Jersey, about 15 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean)and I could have sworn I saw a Bald Eagle. I'm not a bird shooter but i try to stay aware; This big dark bird with a white head and white tail feathers comes soaring by. I was tacken back. I know they are being introduced into New Jersey but i have never seen one in this region before.

• 2 weeks later...
Eric I would wait until later in January to try for Bald Eagles. Right now there is to much open water and the eagles are spread out. Also in this area you have to be be pretty lucky to have a bird posing for you in a tree. Ive been pretty lucky in Rio Dam and the road that goes around around the dam. This road also goes to a bridge that crosses the dam, Ive had luck seeing eagles in this area. Mongaup Falls is another place to see eagles, but not good for photographing. Ive found that the Housatnic River in Ct. to be a little better for photo. eagles, even thats not ideal. This area is right off of 84 exit 11, River Rd. These areas are good for seeing eagles, but not great for photographing. Good luck