RZ67 lenses vs. Pentax 67 lenses

maylon_roberts

I'd like to hear from someone who has owned of used both the RZ and

P67. What can you tell me about your experience with sharpness?

When I compare chromes from my P67 45mm f/4 to those from my RZ67

37mm fisheye, the Pentax wins everytime- even handheld at slower

shutterspeeds. Is this just a fluke? I thought mamiya's lenses were

supposed to be really really sharp. I never experienced any of

the "camera shake" problems that people seem to whine about with the

P67, so that's not even an issue.

Are there any real tests that show which set of lenses is sharper?

Thanks

Isn't comparing the 45mm Pentax to the Mamiya 37mm fisheye like comparing apples and oranges? I would think a closer match would be the Mamiya 50mm or new 43mm or the 35mm Pentax compared to the 37mm Mamiya.

I have both the 37 and the 50 Mamiya and have always been happy with the sharpness, even with large enlargements. The 50 has the floating element which is also very nice for that little extra tweek.

Phil

If you get better results from your P67 than your RZ, isn't that the most important test there is? What would you do differently if you found test results that suggested that the Mamiya lens was as sharp as the Pentax? Or sharper? For what it's worth, I can guarantee that when shooting handheld, your technique is orders of magnitude more important than any differences in lens performance.

I own both systems, and It varies, lens to lens - But overall, both systems have great optics overall, with one or two clunkers each. The Pentax 45mm and 55mm lenses are superb, and good values, while the Mamiya 50mm lens is relatively weak in comparison. The Mamiya 65mm and Pentax 75mm lenses are both quite excellent, But the Mamiya 90mm and 110mm lenses are somewhat superior to the Pentax 90mm and 105mm optics IMHO.

In telephoto land, I've never seen a noticeable difference in quality.

But frankly, I would not decide between the systems on this basis, but rather, their ergonomics and the type of shooting style and subject matter of the photographer.