shutter or selftimer problems

esben_jensen

I bought a hasselblad 500c with a 80mm planar two months ago. The

camera worked well but today the shutter got stuck after use with the

self timer.

When triggering the camera, everything does what it's supposed to do:

the mirror slaps up, the shutter closes, the rear shutter opens and

the aperture sets but the shutter does not open again for the

exposure. The pattern is the same for all time settings including B.

Is my Planar dead?

The self timer mechanism is a cool little free standing gear train. If you never use it, it just goes along for the ride and has no effect on the rest of the shutter workings. However, once you activate it, it has to complete its cycle before it gets out of the way so to speak.

If it was mine, I would shake it to try and encourage the little spring loaded mechanism to run its course. If you can do that and remember to never use it again, you will be alright.

However, some people will say that if it is gummed up, this probably indicates a need for an overall CLA (clean lube and adjust)

However, on some lenses everything else may have been used regularly and the self timer never used at all.

I usually use a cable release, but the self timer won't let the shutter work at all so what I've got is essentially a beautiful and expensive paperweight :-(

I've been shaking the lens and excersizing the self timer all night with no results so I hope a hasselblad can fix things for me ...maybe they could fix the light leak in the magazine and align my selfinstalled acute-matte focusing screen too.

as you can hear it's definately time for a CLA.

thanks for the advice

-esben

Neal's post was right on the money. The self timer is a gear train mechanism that has nothing to do with operating the shutter ... until you activate it. Once activated (wound), it has to unwind completely before the shutter will fire. Sounds like the self timer mechanism is stuck, and is unable to unwind completely. A CLA would take care of this.

David S. Odess - Factory trained Hasselblad technician