Do you think Canon will make an 12-24 same as Nikon counterpart for their DSLR with 1.6 crop factor?

ike k

<p>Why ask? Anyone who knows the facts is sworn to secrecy. The forum policy says:</p>

<blockquote><a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/policy?topic_id=1545">Please note that chat threads and speculative posts about what Canon might or might not be planning, or what you think they should be planning will typically be given a short life (sometimes measured in hours, not days). They serve little purpose in the archives. Canon won't read them, and nobody who knows what Canon are planning will post that information in a public forum. Most of the information posted in such threads will be wrong and misleading anyway!</a></blockquote>

It's been an obvious need for a long time, but ignoring it doesn't seem to have hurt their sales or profits any. Based on reading their annual report they're probably too busy rolling naked in stacks of $100 bills to worry much about it. At this point they can probably buy Nikon out of petty cash, so perhaps they'll get their 12-24 zoom that way.

No, because Canon's 1.6 models are only the low-end consumer models, their pro models have been using 1.3 for 8 years. As a user, I'd find it hard to spend $1000+ on a 12-24 vs $650 on a 17-40, and a 12-24 would leave such a big gap to 50mm that at least a 35/2 would be needed to fill the gap. I'd much rather shoot a 17-40 on film if I want wide ultra-angles.

Now, if Canon makes a 12-24 that covers 1.3x or even full-frame, it's a very different story, and I'd seriously consider buying one (I'm itching to buy a Sigma 12-24 right now, I'd have done it already if I wasn't worried about future compatibility)

Steve,

Really dunno anything about those posting policy so I appologize to the host (Mr. Bob Atkins). Anyway that's just a big confidence that Canon will buy out Nikon with their petty cash well who knows?.Nikon been collaborating with Fuji, Kodak ( at least those two working extensively to built camera with Nikon mount).

I know Canon don't need such thing as they already eat up almost DSLR market nowadays and now Kodak will try to get some of those chumps with the latest DSC 14/canon mount. Cause their Nikon counter part is heavily loss with 1DS and now MrkII.

Well, I do wish they will make such a lens so more enthusiast like me will be more happy with choices to go wide,Cheers!.

Ike

Speculation - yes.

Canon will make a 12-?? EF+S zoom lens, it will be made available at the same time that the 10D gets an EF+S mount.

If the latter does not happen, then the former will not.

With the current EF+S lens being 18-55 that does put some doubt on a 12-24, but maybe a 12-18 or they will drop the 18-55 for a 24-70 EF+S

All completely speculation.

But it is worth noting that AFAIK the EF+S 18-55 will not provide distance information for E-TTL2 which means if a future 10D features E-TTL2 and an EF+S mount, then EF+S with distance info needed for E-TTL2 would make sense, and maybe that would mean a 12-24 and 24-70 in EF+S

All completely speculation.

I have a feeling that at this point in time, even under full NDA, Canon would not be able to answer the posed question.

Mark, an amusing comment. If you would care to quote Nikon financial data which leads you to assume that Nikon is loosing money, would you please do so? Their imaging products (which includes cameras and lenses) are profitable. What they did loose money on was steppers etc.

but at the moment there is a net profit for the whole company.

Canon apparently isn't planning on creating wide angles specifically for small-sensor DSLRs. That's very good if they can ultimately make an affordable full-frame DSLR. If they can't, then they'll just have to make a 12-24 or equivalent. But that would be a sad turn of things.

As I see it, Canons philosophy is to produce one range of lenses for all their cameras with few exceptions. Even the higher end video cameras take ef lenses!

The 50/f0.95 in Leica Thread Mount was a movie camera lens which could be used in the Canon (and most LTM) rangefinders.

Mark, sorry to spoil your fascination but at least among "photographers" Nikon has greater share indeed. <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006FNH>Here</a> is a reality check for you within a year. Btw, I am sure D70 sells more than anything else in digital SLR market nowadays.<br><br>

On topic, Canon may try making a full frame 12-24 like Sigma did because of their 3 different sensor sizes. At least one size will vanish in time according to technological developments; either larger sensors will be cheaper or smaller sensors will yield equivalent image quality. Likeliest candidate seems 1.3.

As long as Canon makes small-sensor DSLRs such as the 10D and D Rebel, there will be demand of 12-24mm type lenses so that those DSLR users can have really wide lenses. Canon's small sensor is actually a bit smaller than Nikon's. Therefore, the need is even greater.

Given that large sensors will remain expensive for quite a while and the small sensor can deliver very good quality anyway, the small sesnor will be around for many years to come for at least the lower-end DSLRs. So if Canon doesn't produce a 12-24 type EF-S, Sigma will simply take over that (small) segment of the market, or people might prefer Canon's competitor's products.

>> No, cause Canon is moving in the general direction of full-frame sensors for all their SLRs -- unlike Nikon and most of the other big manufacturers. <<

This is nothing but supposition. No-one outside of Canon itself knows what its future direction is.

As for Nikon being unprofitable...pure rubbish. Nikon isn't a huge company like Canon but it certainly makes money. It's financial statements are public knowledge...anyone willing to actually look rather than repeat B.S. can see this for themselves.

-Dave-

From what I hear, it's going to be a 12-36mm f/4L, and it will cover the frame of a 1.3x sensor. Should be in production before the end of the year. Price will be $1000 or so, possibly more. I'm putting in my order now.

Just thought I'd make this conversation interesting. Not that I have any knowledge of any of this.

But from things that I really have read, it does appear that afforadable full frame sensors are at least a few years off. The cost of nearly flawless large area chips isn't cheap and are not likely to drop very quickly. With that in mind, the above spec'd mythical chip will be a desirable commodity for some years yet. If Canon is still thinking about more money, they should produce this lens.

Actually, Sigma should produce it. They would have a larger market. The 12-24 they have now is too slow, and can't accept front mounted filters.