dave_philips

I note a relatively large drop in list price on the Elan 7n vs. the

older & model. Having been involved in photography for forty years,

this is the first I've seen a significant price drop on a "new and

improved" version of an existing model.

My guess is that this camera is being built in China. Kind of obvious

but...

Can anyone confirm or deny ?

I think that rather than a supplement to the existing Elan 7/7E, the 7N/7NE is seen more of a "replacement" (at least by myslef - and I am sure many others). The initial price may have been higher due the fact that it is a newer body, but (perhaps) market dynamics demand that the new one be placed where the old one was ???

- Harman

It was probably cheaper to increase the volume of chip production with the current AF improvements in the Rebel series for instance, rather than carry on with the technology that dates back several years. Plus Canon probably wanted some market experience of E-TTL II in a camera with fewer AF points than a 1D Mk II before comitting technology to successors to the 10D and 300D.

I've got two Elan 7E bodies in my family, circa 2001, and both are stamped "Made in Japan." I recall a survey at the Elan 7 Users Group a couple years ago on "country of manufacture" and, although most were Japan made, many were made in Taiwan and a few in China. I assume Canon maintained 3 production sites and perhaps eventually cut costs by moving all Elan production offshore. I've looked at several new Elan 7N bodies and all were stamped "Made in Taiwan." I haven't seen any Chinese made ones yet.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter