Opinions on Fuji CMW 125mm 5.6

brien_szabo

I'm looking for opinions on the Fuji CMW 125mm 5.6 lens with an image

circle of 204 for a 4x5 camera. It's a reasonably priced lens. If

it's worth the investment, then it would make the purchase of a

longer lens in the near future much more doable. I shoot a lot of

wider 35mm scenes in the 28-35mm range - so I was thinking 125 is

both affordable at this time and in the range of area that I work in.

Fuji makes very fine lenses. They are proud of their multicoating, EBC (Electron Beam Coating) and use it to make greater use of air-spaced elements in their designs. The 125 Fuji-CMW has 6 elements in 5 groups, unlike most plasmat type designs, which use 6 elements in 4 groups. The extra degrees of freedom allow Fuji to design a lens with slightly better performance specs -- in the case of the 125 mm Fuji-CMW, coverage of 78 degrees / 204 mm diameter. This coverage will support modest amounts of movements such as front rise with 4x5.

Neither Nikon nor Rodenstock make a plasmat type in this focal length. Schneider has the 120 mm Apo-Symmar-L, which has only 189 mm diameter coverage.

For a moderate wide for 4x5, the true wide-coverage designs, Super-Angulons, Grandagons, Nikkor-SW, Fuji-SW, Super-Symmar-XL, give a lot more coverage, but also cost a lot more. The 125 Fuji-CMW is an excellent choice for someone who doesn't want to pay for very large coverage.

I used to own one (older model with the 52mm filter) and recently replaced with a 120 Nikon as I was often running out of coverage. I am beginning to regret my choice however. The fuji was sharper, brighter, smaller (much smaller), not to mention cheaper. All in all one of my favorites lenses.

Walter.

I actually find the 67mm filter size a plus on my CMW 135mm, because I only need to buy one set of filters. The 67mm size works on my 65mm, 90mm, 210mm, 135mm, 450mm, my medium format lenses and a couple of zooms for my 35mm system. It is a lot easier to put a larger diameter filter on a smaller lens, than a filter that is too small on a bigger lens.

If the 125mm is anything like my 135mm I would highly recommend it.

I have the earlier version (a different design - 6 elements in 6 groups) that is marked Fujinon W, and uses 52mm filters. I think Fuji called this "NW" even though it is not labeled as such on the lens. See http://members.aol.com/subgallery/byfl.htm for more information on specs. It has a smaller image circle (198mm) than the CMW. It has the EBC coating. I love this lens. If not my favorite, it is one of my two favorite lenses. Every once in a while, I wish for a bigger image circle, but never wish for a bigger, heavier lens. If you want a lens that takes a smaller filter, look for a used version of this lens. Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) usually has used Fujinon 125s in stock. I bought mine from him, and it looked brand new. If you think that the price of a new 125 CMW is reasonable, you will love the price of a used version of my lens.