How do you hold a Hasselblad??

ian_barnes

having used various models for the past 30 years, my recommendation is to use it with a good flash bracket, regardless of whether your are using a flash or not. it makes it considerably easier. I use a stroboframe bracket, but there are many others, including the hasselblad bracket, that work well. In addition, a bracket gives you a place to tie a string or something to the bracket and to you in case you are dealing with a situation where there is a possibility that you might drop the camera.

Kevin

One recommendation is to hold the left hand under the camera, so that the left index finger can operate the shutter release. This is easy for violinists. Personally, I release the shutter right-handed most of the time, supporting the camera with as many remaining fingers as I can get into contact with the camera.

I'm not sure the designers even thought about this issue at the time. It doesn't seem like they did.

I use a 45 prism, a rapid focus handle and the wind crank. I cradle the camera in my left hand with my index finger on the release and my thumb over the shoe on the left side. My right hand is free to focus with the handle, change lens settings, and wind. I've tried the handle, but I have fairly large hands and I prefer the cradle approach without flash. Also I can push the MLU switch with middle finger on the left hand on the ocassions that I want to lock up the mirror before releasing the shutter.

If you hold your arms in front of you, close to your chest, with your palms facing up, I think you'll have your answer. If you cradle the body with your left hand, your index finger will naturally fall fight under the shutter release. Your right hand, with palm facing up, will be responsible for adjusting the lens rings (focus, aperture, shutter speed), winding the advance crank, and using a handheld meter.

When you take the shot, your left hand cradles the camera body, your right hand cradles the lens, the camera body is pressed into your chest, your elbows pressed into your sides and your left hand index finger triggers the release.

This technique assumes a right-handed photographer using a waist level finder. With a prism finder, the camera would be held higher and pressed back against your face.

Barry and Rob described it perfectly. of course, it boils down to what feels best what is intuitive, and the Hasselblad magic opened up for me once I discovered the left hand, left-index finger release. if you look at the CFi lenses (possibly earlier lenses as well. I don't know, since mine are all CFi) you find the aperture tabs on the right side. designed for right-hand control. I never considered this before, as all of my 503CW photography used a tripod. the few times I used the CW winder and PME45 it felt alien. it is almost comical, to watch someone hand-hold a Hasselblad with the 90degree prism finder. totally beyond the intended design, at least in my opinion.

I recently purchased a 203FE and 110FE for hand-holding, and find that my left hand curls around to control the mirror-lockup too. if you don't hold a Hasselblad this way, and many do not, I can see why they are maligned by so many users, or ex-users. once you 'get it', it fits like a pair of old slippers.

dan et al are rite on the money. the left hand hold/fire technique works very well, leaving the rite hand free for focus and winding. i will add two points: (1) try to get your elbows in against your body -- it help a lot in keeping the camera steady; (2) LEARN THE TWIST!! to wind on, crank forward withteh advance knob and, SIMULTANEOUSLY, rock the camera backward. this will allow a VERY fast advance. once you get good atthis twisting technique, it will be like you have your own (battery free!!!) motor drive. oh yeah, and a roger michel post wouldn't be complete unless i mentioned that blads do best on a pod; for handheld work consider a TLR/RF.

I'm setting here, handling my C/M. The focus handle is a big key to the way I handle the camera. The focus handle allows me to steady the camera with my right hand and focus at the same time. I also hold the prism very tightly against my face. It all combines to produce a strong study hold. Also a neck strap is a major help to avoid dropping the camera. I use to teach a beginner photo class and the very first thing I told my students is put the strap arround your neck. Great insurance.

My standard set up for handheld is the Hassy CM with 60CF and HC-4 90 degree finder. Holding it in the lefthand with the left index finger seems to be the most convenient (and satisfying) way to hold the camera.

I don't have a neck strap. Instead I made a wrist strap from a narrow nylon camera strap. It is similar to but longer than the Hassy hand strap and has a loop in the end for the wrist.

For flash I usually use only a Vivitar 283 on a special bracket I made that fits close to the camera and mounts the flash over the lens. It is even ajustable to get it out of the way of a waist level finder if necessary. With the flash bracket, I can still hold the camera in my left hand as before.

I basically cradle the camera in my left hand focus with my left thumb and index finger. I use my right hand to operate all the controls on the lens.

During actual shutter release I move my right hand under the camera and press the shutter release with my right index finger. I tried using my left index finger to release the shutter but I would also get a cramp in my left hand when doing so.

I couldn't help smiling as I ran through this flurry of messages on how to hold a hassy! As someone mentioned in a previous post (can't remember which one but it was one of those "hot" ones), a tripod would most defintely be of great assistance or ... a third hand !! <;-))))) I suppose normal evolution will take care of that in a few thousand years.

Ray

I have a trip to Africa scheduled in January. I initially started looking at Leica's as the perfect travel camera, until I tallied up my investment in Hasselblad's. though most all of my Hasselblad photography has been with a tripod, I started exploring hand-holding a 203FE with built-in metering. those large 6x6 negatives, with relatively fast film were awesome. gorgeous. a little discipline and dedication to crafting good techinique .. and it opens up another dimension. I use the HM-2 chimney, but the waist-level finder works wonderfully well, and affords a great candid solution too. give it a try.

'Barry" dead on, exactly the way an oldtimer showed me.

The reason you put it on a tripod is so you can hold your wallet! Why spend all that money for a camera with quality lenses and then not give it every opportunity to take the best image allowable! TRIPOD

bill d. -- you are certainly correct to bring up blad film flatness problems in every blad thread, whether or not related to the original question. film flatness in the a-12 back can be a serious problem if film is allowed to sit in the holder for hours or even days. as you know many companies have experimented with vacuum backs to deal with the situation. i personally don't think it's worth worrying about since 99.9% of blad owners are old geezers, LIKE MYSELF, who can't see well enough to judge critical sharpness anyway. besides, everything looks sharp if u were raised on triplets and plasmats. (---:

The Medium Format Digest is great - I've learned a lot from the many inquiries and responses. Never thought there'd be so many ideas on handholding a Hasselblad! I also get a big kick, in this Digest, with the dry humor and sly needling (well, usually). I use a computer in a local library and nearby patrons must wonder what I find so amusing at times. But in the final analysis, I'm really impressed with the willingness to share ideas and experiences!

As the originator of this question '57 ways to hold a blad',I am impressed by everybodies wide response. It is great to see the humour but also think about how to get the best from these great cameras.The point of contact between human and machine is very important.Personally I find the design so good it just feels so natural as you pick it up and take pictures.I guess the other comments from those that love their Blads is to hold them as you would your partner,with love and tenderness, give them care,spend lots of money on them and you will have a long and happy life together.(Although i would draw the line at putting my wife on a tripod.)

If you are at all contemplating a Winder CW, consider a monopod. I find this combination very usable and steady. Since your arms are not supporting the weight of the camera system you can work a long time without fatigue.

I use a 503CW and Winder CW. The winder provides a right-hand grip that makes operation of the camera similar to that of a (very) large 35mm camera. It is perfect with a monopod.

The monopod idea will also work with the rapid wind or with a 200-series camera and Winder F, but the lack of an integral shutter release built into the grip makes the combination a bit more awkward. (I wish Hasselblad would redesign the Winder F to incorporate a grip/shutter release, but that's another post...)

BTW, Bogen makes a very handy tilt device that screws into the top of a standard monopod and provides easy up-down pivoting of the camera without having to lean a whole bunch.

Good luck.