Advice on a 2 week-trip to Scotland: March 2004

timmy_taler

Hello Scotland-Visitors,

I'm planning a 2 week-trip to Scotland in March 2004!

Shooting landscape (B/W only) on largeformat, I'm looking for

advice on spots and locations north of Glasgow, incl. Isle of Skye!

Any help or route-recommendations appriciated. Trying to set

up a series of 6x17 panoramas: Looking for your favorite spots.

Thank you all for reading and replying!

From Berlin, Tim!<div>00752x-16151984.jpg.43b3ab99ced31464fc6be16cb64c9d00.jpg</div>

If you've not been to Skye before you're in for a treat. A new oportunity around every

corner. You can drive around the island within a day and that's stopping top scout

locations along the way.

Just as you get to the bridge from the mainland to the island in the town of Lochalsh

you will see a road off to the right, 20 minutes up this road and you run into a quaint

old world town. I dont remember the name of the town but the backdrop is the

mountain range the 5 sisters best light for this is late afternoon.

The best landscapes on the isle itselff in my opinion are to the north of the town of

Port Righ (Portree) which makes Portree a goo place to set up camp. I can honestly say

that you could easily spend 2 weeks just photographing the landscapes on the island.

Remember on the road from Inverness to Skye you will pass the Eillean Doonan Castle,

the most photographed castle in the world. Best light is early morning. Also along the

route at one point you cross a small bridge and on your right hand side you will see a

small cemetery with the remains of a small chapple very photogenic and worth the

stop.

And before I forget all of the castle grounds on the Isle of skye afford good photo ops

too.

Best wishes, Darren Green

I'm surprised you haven't had a lot of response here, so let me

have a try. First, you have to expect some poor weather- maybe

a lot of poor weather- but hopefully you'll get some sunshine too

as I did when photographing in northwest Scotland in February a

couple of years ago. You have to expect it to be pretty cold and

very cold in a wind. You'll need to stay reasonably flexible in your

arrangements to make the best of the opportunity the weather

allows you.

Only an hour north of Glasgow Airport the Trossachs region ,

including Loch Lomond/Loch Ard is closest and most

accessible of the areas with potential. Aberfoyle or Callender

would make good bases. Personally I don't like this area quite

as much as those further north but I mention it because it's

accessible.

Further north up the A82 you'll reach Rannoch Moor and

Glencoe. Much photographed, and justifiably so, it's pretty wild

and bleak, and in winter staying on or near the raod might be

best. You can stay on the moor at the Kings House hotel, though

frankly that's nearly as much a wilderness experience as the

moor. Otherwise Ballachulish is a lot closer and more

convenient than Fort William.

The area round the other side of Rannoch Moor is good too-

round Loch Rannoch/Loch Tummel and Loch Tay. If the road's

clear Glen Lyon is interesting photographically.

The road you'll possibly take to Skye leaves the Great Glen

( major valley with Loch Ness in it) near Loch Garry and that

entire area (Kintail) is of interest as far as Kyle of Localsh where

you cross to Skye. Further north in the village of Plockton, on the

sea, which photographs nicely

I don't know Skye at all, but I have photographed way up the

coast round Applecross, Lochs Carron/Torridon/Maree and it

would be worth your while to go beyond Ullapool. It might not be

quite so cold near the water because they're warmed by Atlantic

currents.

www.photography001.com has a Scotland gallery albeit in

colour, if that helps.

Second the vote for Isle of Skye and Portree as a base. There is so much to see all around!

Don't miss Querrang (sp?) and the Storr (sp?) to the north of the island.

The black Quillins (sp?) (mountain range) is very impressive as well.

And of course photographed to death on the main land: the Glen Coe area, the marsh lands more to the east where the road bends south (got no map at hand, but I believe Fort Williams as a base should work, do check this!).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Timmy,

Scotland is not famous for its great weather, especially in March/April - be well prepared and protect your gear. Skye is like no other,especially the Black Cuillons - be aware that the sharp edges along the cliff tops become dangerous, especially if you slip (wet Gortex pants and wet grass is a bad combination). Raasay is definitely worth a visit. Try to make it to Uige where the ferry leaves for the Outer Hebrides. There is much to see and photograph. Scotland is wild and immensely beautiful with such a remarkable and fascinating history. Lots of forested areas, and open land of brachen, sheep, waterfalls and burns. The people are amazing. Oh...and don't forget the distilleries.

You've had some good advice so far, I know hundreds of good locations in Scotland, which isn't all that surprising as I live there too! Feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions.

I think the place that Darren was talking about is Plockton, which is a very picturesque little village on the shores of Loch Carron, very close to Kyle of Lochalsh. The hills across the loch are most definitely not the Five Sisters (of Kintail) though, which can be found just as you are leaving Glen Shiel and approaching Loch Duich and the coast. You can get nice views of the Five Sisters if you take the first road on the left at Shielbridge, if you climb high up on to the Mam Ratagan road, there are a few laybys and lower down there is another road that leads to the village of Ratagan and the hostel there, again good views to be had there mainly late afternoon. If you continue on over the Mam Ratagan Pass, you will reach the coast again at Glenelg, which has fantastic views towards Skye and a summertime ferry crossing service too. It is worth driving to the end of the public road to Arnisdale to get views into Loch Hourn and across to Knoydart.

Plenty to see on Skye, the west coast is quite rugged in places. Elgol in the morning is a must see for the views across Loch Scavaig to the Cuillin. The bizarre rock formations on the Quiraing and the Old Man of Storr are well worth a look at, they are part of the Trotternish Ridge which runs from the north of Skye down towards Portree the largest town on the island.

Other must sees on the west coast would include Torridon and Assynt.