Is sand a particular problem for DSLRs?

johannes_minkus

A friend warned me about using a digital body on the beach because of

the sand. It might get into the body and cause problems. The DSLR

bodies are supposed to be prone to sand damage.

I'm usig film bodies for years. I do know I have to be careful with

dust and sand - but I cannot believe that digital bodies might be

more vulnerable then film bodies - since they have less mechanical

part.

Is there anybody around with more knowledge?

Thanks,

Johannes

Depends on how careful you are and weather conditions. Hard blowing sand will kill any 10D or Drebel in short order. Sealed cameras and lenses such as the 1Ds and EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM were battle tested during our latest Middle East conflict, so that combo is safe. With that said, I used my EOS film bodies and now an EOS 10D on the beaches of Hawaii without any major problems. I keep them in the bag except when shooting, don't change lenses on the beach and don't lay gear on the ground. I do have to clean salt spray off my filters every couple hours (I wipe down all my gear with a damp cloth after a shoot). Some of the little screws on the body shell are rusted...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<<A friend warned me about using a digital body on the beach because of the sand. It might get into the body and cause problems. The DSLR bodies are supposed to be prone to sand damage. I'm usig film bodies for years. I do know I have to be careful with dust and sand - but I cannot believe that digital bodies might be more vulnerable then film bodies - since they have less mechanical part.>>

A film camera can be damaged by sand entering while changing lenses *and* while changing film. A DSLR has no film to change (assuming you're using a big enough CF card not to need to change it). Otherwise if you're comparing a modern AF SLR to a DSLR I'd think the DSLR would be slightly less vulnerable. Howver for the same level of features you've paid at least three times more for the DSLR so you've got more to lose if it does get damaged. I use "beaters" for beach photography (old Pentaxes, Minoltas, whatever my local camera store gets in on trade that still works and costs me less than $100 for a body and lens). If you're hell bent on shooting digital, you might pick up a used P&S in the 3MP category, they're almost worthless so if it gets sanded or salted to death you're not out much.

I strongly recommend the 10D, when not in use it should be in a ziplock bag, either use good sealed L lenses with it or cheap consumer ones that you can toss if they get gritty. Do NOT change lenses or CF cards!

If it's blowing out and you need to take photos get a flexible camera dive bag.

Gerry

I think you should be equally concerned about salt in the air around beaches. Actually, I was going to post a similar question about shooting on beach. In the past when I took camera to the beach, I was quick to find that after a while, salt crystals formed on the filter/lens. So this past summer vacation, I took only my Minolta 7i with me. I was afraid that my 10D and lenses would be harmed, although the result may not be immediate. I do use 'L' lenese and supposedly they are sealed against weather elements, but I figured that although you can wipe off the exterior afterwards, I don't know how you can get to those hard to get spots, and salt is very corrosive. I am sure pros take their gears to beach all the time, but that's tear and wear on their professional tools and they can make it back by selling their images. For me, I would keep them at home.

I have a 1D and shoot a lot of racing at all kinds of tracks including dirt tracks. 3 days before shooting the Brickyard 400 I shot at a dirt track and then had the camera cleaned. The tech from Canon said that other than very slight amount of dust the internals were clean, the outside was another story as it was covered in dust. He concluded the internal dust came from changing lenses. I have had it rain "hard" on my camera with no ill effects as well so these things don't seem to be a problem with this particular line of digitals, not that I suggest "soaking" your camera.....