New ELAN 7 or old EOS-1?

leeblackman

Ok, I'm going to upgrade to a better camera body. My budget allows

me to do the following; either buy a new ELAN 7 body or buy a used

EOS1 (first model). How do they stack up to eachother? Does the

old professional still outperform the new midrange?

Agree with the above. It depends on what you usually shoot and whether you really need those advanced features. It may also depend on which flash(es) you've already had, EZ or EX. It may also depend on which glass(es) you've already had because cheap zoom does look good on EOS 1.

Well I'm trying to learn photography, I need versitility, and practicality. I take my camera everywhere, so having weatherproofing may be a good thing. I like having the ability to customize controls, and being able to be modular. I also like preprogrammed modes. I'm not to worried about metering yet, and I'm sure either's autofocus speed would be sufficient.

I was planning on buying one of three lenses with it (spending more money on lens than camera) either a Tamron 28-300mm XR, a Tamron 24-135mm SP, or a Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM.

As far as shooting, I shoot everything. I love doing little projects. I'm trying to learn portraits a little now. I did alot of outdoor and indoor exposures of dogs and horses before I started trying on people. I haven't really tried any sports or fast action shooting, but the idea of not having to deploy a tripod all the time is very inticing with the Canon IS lens.

"I need versitility, and practicality": Both are nice.

"I take my camera everywhere": Elan 7 is lighter in weight.

"weatherproofing may be a good thing": None of your choice of lens is weatherproof, so it doesn't matter whether the body is or not.

"ability to customize controls": Both are nice.

"I did a lot of... indoor": If you don't have any flash and are not planning to buy one soon, Elan 7 may be better because it has a little flash... well, just in case.

If you take your camera everywhere, be advised the EOS-1

weighs a ton, especially with the booster attached.

I used to use one, and it was a very capable camera. In low light

with a fast lens, I bet it autofocuses better than the Elan 7. BUT,

big but, you must use f2.8 lenses or faster, or else the cross

sensor doesn't operate.

Also, the EOS-1 is a very loud camera, and the Elan 7 isn't. The

EOS-1's user interface, in retrospect, isn't that good. Also, there's

a good chance the EOS-1 you purchase met with some hard

use, and even if not, a 10-15 year old camera can still have

unpredictable mechanical problems. If I had to choose between

the two, I would choose a new Elan 7.

100% viewfinder may be irrelevant if he is taking film to a lab. Also, as previously stated, a weather proofed camera is rendered useless with cheap lenses (in adverse weather conditions). If you really want advanced features, you're going to have to pay for it. Just because its an EOS 1 doesn't mean its more bang for the buck (in this case, $200 bucks).

How about neither,and putting the money towards another lens? From your other posting, I see you only have a kit lens for now, and are considering all in one zoom alternatives. I'd suggest you consider some faster glass - replace the kit lens with say a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, and your choice of Canon 70-200 f/4L, 24mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8 SF, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO Macro Super II. Better lenses will do much more to improve your photography than a better body will, especially as you don't really seem to be pushing the edge of what your existing body can do.

<p>The EOS 1 certainly has some advantages, as it was designed to be a tough, rugged, reliable pro camera. But the Elan 7 also has advantages, since it's a much newer design and benefits from newer technology.</p>

<p>Given your description of what you're looking for, I'd get the Elan 7 if I were you. I think it's a better fit.</p>

I use both EOS 1v and Elan 7 (EOS 33) and am extremely happy with both. Definitely go for the Elan 7 against the original EOS 1. While the 1 is great (the 1n even better and the 1v better again), the 7 offers you more up-to-date features and is a very well built body (although not as rugged as the 1, 1n or 1v by a long shot) and not just a cheap plastic unit. It does have an alloy chassis.

You'll get ETTL flash capability (the 1 is ATTL and nowhere as good as ETTL) and the latest evaluative metering (very reliable) plus faster AF.

The other benefit I find is that if you are out and about and need urgent fill in flash or even full flash (although a limited guide number) and don't have a flash unit handy, the in-built unit is helpful (but does not substitute for a real mountable unit like a 420/550EX).

The 7 is also compatable with current EX flash units that are better performers than EZ units.

Even though the 7 does not have true spot/multi-spot metering it does have a 10% centre (as well as centre-weighted) meetering, which is very helpful.

Finally, get a power grip too (they are quite cheap) as it makes handling the body even better.

<p> Personally I wouldn't trade my Elan 7e for the EOS 1 as quietness is important to me. If I wouldn't see a DSLR in my future, I'd definitely upgrade to the 1v. It simply feels soooooooooooooooo damn good in your hand.<p>

<p> Have a look <a href="http://photonotes.org/reviews/5-50-30/">here</a> and <a href="http://photonotes.org/reviews/1-1N-3-1V/">here</a>. <p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

Lee,

I have both an Elan 7 bith BP300 and a Eos 1 without booster. I bought the latter 3 months ago. The Eos 1 is always loaded with color slide since the 1/3 stop increment is more accurate for this. I also greatly appreciate the 100% coverage of the viewfinder, especially when shooting macro.

The Elan 7 is always loaded with B&W.

I use my 550 EX on both and never had surprise when mounted on the Eos 1.

The drawbacks of the oldy is that it is not quiet at all (I was in a touristic group in Tunisia last month and all members smiled when they heared the Eos 1 rewinding...) and AF is not very up to date.

Sure the Eos is heavy but do you know how much an Abrahams weights ?

regards

Lee,

I recently went through the exact same delima and decided on the elan 7. I think that Mark U gave the best advice: buy the less espensive elan 7 and spend the extra money on a lens(es). It's really the lens that is forming the image, so saving some money and getting better lenses rather than body is often good advice. "In focus" is going to be the same no matter how sophisticated or simple the focusing mechanism is (right down to manual). However, the maximum quality of a perfectly "in focus" shot is based upon the lens.

As said above, the advangege of a pro body is the weather proofing, but if the lens isn't weather proof then that's not really and advantage. I recently went to the sahara and had to throw away a Rebel G body (I loved that camera) because it was full of sand. However, I could do so ten times before it cost me the same as a pro body. At least that was my rationalization, of course, it sucked to have to do so.

I have the Elan 7 and like it quite a lot. I think it's the right camera for those of us who take photography very seriously but do not make thousands of dollars as photographers.

Kip

Lee,

I just finished reading and responding to your other post. I'll more emphatically agree with the "buy a lens, not a body" advice. The rebel is a very good body. My brief stint as a professional photographer, I used a Rebel (an S) and it did everything I needed for youth and amature sports. It just doesn't look as pro, and I can empathize with that desire because when I bought a new body, I got an Elan and not another rebel.

My current delima is how to replace my 28-300 Tamron, so I can't really recommend that. I am on my way to check out a few options. (See my post about the 28-135) It worked wonders for me it BRIGHT summer light (when I could use smaller apatures). After a while, it got bumped around. I've had it adjusted twice and it just never bounced back. Or maybe, my standards have risen.

I'll tell you what I decide if you'll tell me.

Kip

hello lee,

I would definetly get the elan 7n and forget the ancient eos-1.The elan 7n is a better upgrade from the rebel with a brighter viewfinder,better flash metering (e-ttlII) and better build.Save the money to get better lenses and a 420ex flash or 550ex flash. by the way I have never seen a "mint" eos-3 for $400, try around $600-$700.

hope this helps.

-- scott baros

I bought a used Elan 7 last fall and wouldn't trade it for anything! Hubby has a brand new Rebel that can't keep up with the very well used Elan. So much for the digital G2 I bought new a year ago. The Elan gets much more use...

The pictures are great, the features are great, it is lightweight even with a 74-300 USM Canon lens on it, although it can be akward with the big lens. I swear by mine....