quantum t4d + freewire for wireless TTL

Has anyone used the setup mentioned above for wireless TTL flash... <p>

I've had a look at a few reviews about the freewires and it looks like it works well, but not

found anything about the t4d. <p>

I'm looking at this as a portable flash setup that I can fit into a (big) backpack to take

around for my BMX and location work. Also as a TTL flash system that will work with a

canon D-SLR if I ever decide to get one.<p>

So has anyone had any experience with a setup like this??<p>

Thanx for the help

I'll tell you in a week. I've had two T4d's on order for eight weeks and they're finally supposed to make an appearance in the next day or so. A few of the accessories are still not shipping, so if you want to order a T4d make sure the TTL modules for your camera are in stock. For example, there's still no TTL module for a Hasselblad H1, despite Hasselblad being the UK Quantum distributor!

Craig, the T4d's arrived and I briefly checked their operation with Freewires on a Canon 1Ds. It all functions exactly as it should, with manual, auto, and with E-TTL.

However, are you sure the Freewire/T4d combination is appropriate for you? It's useful for portrait/social photography, but for many other applications I'd have thought you'd be better off with either the convenience and portability of a Metz 54 or a Canon 550 EX. Or you need the larger power output and versatility of a Lumadyne or Hensel Porty outfit.

I've been doing some basic background research on portable lighting options, and I'm

wondering how the Quantum offerings slot in betwen the Metz or a Lumadyne/Porty. Gary

can you share how you made your decisions and what you are using them for? Thanks!

The Quantum is a brick to mount on a flash bracket, but really shines (excuse the pun) in that application. You can get a TTL adapter for nearly every camera, which works really well. I use mine with a Nikon D1x and F5, and an Hasselblad 205. Unlike the Norman, you have bounce capability (without some crude adapter), and many options for flash control, including Automatic using a built-in sensor.

The Norman and Lumidyne units, of course, have the capacitors in the power pack, so the heads are really light. TTL capability is available, but I have no experience with it.

The T4D takes about the same space in a backpack (eg. LowePro Photo Trekker) as an 80-200/2.8 lens + hood: 10x4x6 inches when folded 90 degrees. I have a Turbo Z, which fits upright in a 5x3x6 partition, with room for a strap and adapter cable. Today, I'd choose the 2x2, which has NiMH batters, but is 50% bigger than the "Z", with twice the capacity.

I do not find TTL useful for fixed setups or multiple lights. You get much better consistency with everything (including focus) set in manual. Meter the flash to set the levels and lighting ratios. I use Pocket Wizard radios with everything from Monolights to Quantums to SB-28's in this manner.

"I've been doing some basic background research on portable lighting options, and I'm wondering how the Quantum offerings slot in betwen the Metz or a Lumadyne/Porty."

Well, firstly in terms of power output the T4d sits between the others. Based on actual flash meter readings (as opposed to the manufacturer's figures) the Quantum units give me about a stop more than the Metz 54/Canon 550EX, but they're still a long way behind say a Hensel Porty. So if you wanted to light entire rooms or large groups you'd struggle to do it at small to medium apertures with a T4d.

Secondly, it's in the middle ground in terms of portability and convenience. A Metz 54 or a 550EX are shoe mounted, can run on AA cells, and TTL compatibility is simple, even with multiple flash units. A Hensel Porty can only sit on a light stand, the battery packs are too big to clip to your belt, and metering is only via a hand held flash meter.

The Quantum is somewhere in-between, it can go on a bracket, a Turbo 2x2 gives it long life and fast re-cycling for not too much weight, and there is partial TTL compatability (I don't think you get High Speed Synch for example-correct me if I'm wrong) but it quickly develops into a tangle of leads if you want both on-camera and off-camera units synched together with TTL.

I used T2's for several years and have just switched to T4d's, I'll use them more when they finally offer the H1 TTL unit, at the moment it's just used with a Canon digital. The main application for me is portraiture and social events, I particularly like the mini soft box which clips straight on the T4d reflector. At about 12" square it's big enough to give large catchlights in a tight head shot, something that's marginal when I use a little Lumiquest soft box on a Metz 54 or a 550EX, but a T4d is much more portable than a Hensel Porty complete with a 24" soft box or 30" umbrella. However, for interior architectural shots the Hensel Porty still wins out.

thanx for the advice guys...<p>

The main lore here is the Wireless TTL, I dont have much faith in the optical systems that the 550 and metz use also i figure on a bright sunny day and round corners these optical systems are gonna fall over, every other optical trigger i've used in the past has....<p>

I dont mind spending the time to meter the flash (and i hardly ever use the AF) but sometimes I cant really meter with the hand held, so TTL is a great advantage.<p>

At the moment my 540 is doing an ok job for the music/fashion stuff i do but i want to get the lighting off camera and have a bit more power and control.<p>

I had a look at the Norman/Lumedyne systems but they look way to bulky and the lack off the wirless TTL is a major down side really.<p>

I'm not to sure what to do really... A friend in a camera shop reckons about ?1700 to me for the gear i need for the setup, which at the moment (as i'm trying to sort out a flat) isn't really an amount i want to spend (unless i sell my DH bike)...

Have you checked on the X series Quantums? They can go up to 400 WS, but I'm not sure about the TTL issue. <p>I use Lumedyne when I want big, pretty light on location, and a Nikon SB-80DX for an on camera light in a Lumequest mini-box. I also <i>can</i> use a Lumedyne/softbox rig on a bracket when working a big room with adults, but in a small room it's too cumbersome and it scares little kids...seriously. <p>The Lumedyne pack will power the Quantum X2 and if it gives you TTL, that might be your answer. They make a cheaper pack just for this called a "Quantumatic" that has no power settings, as all the controls are in the X2.<p> I concur with the above stated belief that when you put your light on a stand in a box or umbrella, and deliberately stage a photo, you're better off using manual settings. I use the old Quantum 4i Radio Slave with my Fuji S2 in this type of work. Save the TTL for on-camera "candid" photography... t

I've looked at the X series and it appears they will work with the wirless TTL but my mates

shop doesn't deal with Lumedyne or Norman so i'd have to pay full whack for the

packs.....<p>The extra power would be nice though<p>

As i said before i dont always have a chance to meter a flash setup, it's a case of stick it

down fire a few shots then move on or maybe move the flashes around for another quick

shoot.<p>

This is were the Wireless TTL should hopefully give me more consistency and speed over

the Auto settings.<p>

At the moment though I've just moved into a new flat so It'll have to wait if i go for some

new kit over the stuff onm ebay.. I'll let you know what i do and send some samples if i go

for it.