need to buy another mf camera

ed_ramos1

I currently own a mamiya 645e, and i've been happy with it, but i've

come to the realization, that i need flash sync speed higher than

1/60, and the mirror slap on the 645e is awful. I do like the idea

of interchangable backs, and diff. prisms. I will be using the

camera for portraits (that's why i need a higher sync speed for fill

flash) and some landscape. thanks, your input will be appreciated.

If you want to stick with 645, then you might look at the Bronica ETRS series. Or if you can afford it, the Hasselblad H1 which syncs at up to 1/800 second.

Otherwise there is the Bronica SQ series and Hasselblads if you don't mind switching to 6x6. If you do mainly portraits, the 6x6 format may be nice in that you don't have to rotate the camera for horizontal/vertical compositional changes. You can just crop when printing if you want to.

Not 100% sure about the ETRS since I don't own one, but the non-motorized Bronica SQ cameras and the 500 series Hasselblads don't have instant return mirrors. There is some mirror slap when the mirror goes up, but it's not bad (or I'm just used to it).

Of course, with an instant return mirror camera, part of what you'd feel is the mirror going back down... at which point camera shake won't matter any more because the shutter has already closed.

At 6x7 you could look at a Mamiya RB or RZ, or the Bronica GS-1.

You do not need to buy another camera or change system to accomodate your need for flash sync.

You can have higher flash sync with your 645E. Mamiya offers new 55mm and 150mm leaf shutter lenses and there is also a 70mm that can be found used. All of them will sync up to 1/500 sec.

And if you really need interchangable backs and prisms there are the Mamiya 645 Super and Pro/Pro TL. All of them can be bought quite cheap on the used marked. Get a Pro if you can, the newer the better. It will use the same accessories and lenses as the 645E.

If you do not mind the 6*6 then Rollei offers leaf shutters (no sync speed liimts) in their 600x series. Used ones are quite a bargain since the 6008 AF came out. They are also quite automated for 6*6, which some people like and others don't.

<p>

Moneywise I have to agree with Per, a new leaf shutter lens could be also a solution. But since the 645e does not give you everything you want (prisms, backs), it can be the right time to change your system.