Zoom lens purchase question: New vs. Used, Nikkor vs. Quantaray?

cory_phillips

<p>

Which zoom lens, new or used? I have a manual Nikon FE2 35mm, and I

want to purchase a zoom. My budget is approximately $200. If I buy

used, I will most likely purchase a Nikkor 80-200mm.

</p>

<p>

<strong>Used Nikkor</strong><br>

With a used lens I could save $50 or more, the lens will be metal, and

have a sliding zoom collar (sorry; I don't know the term). Sliding a

collar to adjust the zoom seems quicker to me than a turning collar

like it is on most modern day lenses. However, I don't have any

experience with using a zoom, so it may not matter much. One of the

disadvantages I notice with older zoom lenses is the collar may be

loose enough that it moves if you tilt the camera up or down.

</p>

<p>

<strong>New Quantaray</strong><br>

If I decide to buy new, it will probably be a Quantaray 80-200mm. It

is made of plastic, the filter size is larger than the 52mm collection

I have started (3), and I will not need its automatic features yet.

If I ever upgrade to an automatic Nikon, the lens will work and I will

be able to use its automatic features. The zoom ring on the Quantaray

does have a locking switch, which is a nice feature. The fact that it

is plastic may not be an issue; it will certainly be lighter. I'm a

weekend photographer, and I'm careful with my equipment so it

shouldn't get banged around too much. I will probably swap out lenses

from time to time. I'm not sure if its mount is metal or not.

</p>

<p>

<strong>Focus Ring</strong><br>

One other observation I have about used vs. new in manual mode. The

focus ring on automatics in manual mode seems have a very course

adjustment. Manual lenses have a much finer adjustment; therefore

providing a larger tolerance for error. Focusing an automatic lens is

like the steering wheel of a racecar; the slightest turn causes a

large effect. I imagine this is so the motor can focus the lens

quickly (less travel).

</p>

<p>

What are your opinions on a new vs. used lens? Will an older Nikkor

lens provide higher quality than the Quantaray, or does it really not

matter on the low-end entry-level market?

</p>

Buy the used Nikkor. Should you get a modern Nikon body, you can probably sell it for what you paid unlike the Quantaray that you will have a hard time giving away.

I assume its manual focus. Which 80-200 Nikkor model are you looking at?

The Quantaray AF 80-200 f/2.8 was made by Sigma, with only minor cosmetic changes. The Sigma lens scored highly when Pop Photo tested it along with the Nikkor AF 80-200 f/2.8 some years ago. I know nothing about the MF lenses from Ritz, though Eric Friedemann may jump onto this, with his experience in non-OEM lenses.

I vote for a used Nikkor. Just check it for fungus, physical damage and make sure the aperture blades snap open and closed. If they're sluggish, reject the lens.

Some lenses have a tight zoom collar. Others don't. Even within the same brand.

I spoke with the local camera shop in Houston (Houston Camera Exchange). They pointed out that newer zoom lenses have two rings; one for zoom and one for focus. Older lenses used one for both actions, which may make it easier to operate.

I've read on this site that some zoom lenses can have the "zoom creep" fixed by tightening the collar. Is there any way to tell which lenses can be adjusted?

Okay, many of you have suggested that a prime lens is superb to a zoom. I understand that it will be. If I'm taking pictures at family events it seems it can be a bit of a hassle to always position myself to get my subjects to fill the frame. Should I not concern myself with this?

Perhaps I should go with a Nikkor 35-105mm 3.4-4.5f. Would a gain some clarity over the 80-200mm?

Most zooms (non-pro) in this focal length range will perform good at the "short end" (70mm, 80mm,ect.) but not very good at the "long end" (200mm, 210mm, ect.) I have a 70-210mm zoom that is good at 70mm, but crappy at 210mm... and only acceptable at 150mm. Generally, some of the "constant aperture" zooms in this range are better at the long end (an older Minolta f/4.5 impressed me... much better than mine at 200mm) By the way, my zoom is Quantary (Sigma) and only cost $130 new, but after a few years of use, the focus and zoom are getting too easy to turn... otherwise it has performed well (when used below 150mm) I won't comment on used lenses because they are used... you take your chances (I'm not against used lenses, just that it's hard to say which is better without seeing the exact used lens in question)

>> The Sigma lens scored highly when Pop Photo tested it along with the Nikkor AF 80-200 f/2.8 some years ago.

Most lenses got that as well...... :-((

Cory, for that amount of money you won't get a good quality zoom. If you value the picture quality, I wholeheartedly suggest primes. The 50/1.8 is small, light, cheap and optically excellent.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

Thanks Yakim. I already have a Nikkor 50mm/1.4f and I've been very impressed with it. The only two problems I've had with it is the fact that I have to be a few feet away from someone when I take their picture in order to fill the frame. It makes people uncomfortable as I'm sure most of you photographers already know. The other problem is I have a pretty powerful flash and it typically washes out the photo at such close range. Sometimes even if I diffuse it with wax paper or the plastic difusser it came with. Or I bounce it if the situation allows it. Howerver, I did buy the 50/1.4 so I could use it mostly without the flash.