ISO VPS 120

ross_schuler

I would like to know what iso to shoot vps at for best results. I am

going to shoot a wedding for a friend. I have a sunpak 555 flash on

my 67. I plan to use a 45 and a 105. Does anyone have any suggestions

on what is the best settings on the flash and what problems I may have

Many photographers rate VPS at 125 instead of its official 160. This isn't a huge difference -- one-third of a stop -- but it helps guarantee a gutsier negative (one with more shadow detail).

<p>

I like to set my strobe for an F-stop of about f-8 to give a reasonable amount of depth of field. Not sure how much range this gives with your flash. I use the larger Sunpak 622 Pro. Since you're shooting 67, there's no reason not to use PMC (ASA 400) and get more depth of field. I routinely use PMC in 6x6 and only go to VPS in 35mm.

<p>

Craig Shearman/Baltimore

I've shot various iterations of VPS for about 30 years at 125 with good results; however, I note that for the Fuji equivalent Fuji makes the following recommendations: outside in bright sun, 160; in the studio, 125; outside in overcast (no shadows), 100. It's always a good idea to test for your meter and your equipment, however, before you do a shoot with a new film. Also, your shots will look smoother if you use some sort of softener/diffuser over your flash head.

If you like Kodak products, there is absolutely no benefit to be gained by using VPS over PMC in a 6x7 format camera. In fact, you make problems for yourself by using a slow film.

<p>

I have recently completed a test in my studio in which I photographed my assistant with seven different color negative films under the same lighting setup. I used a Canon EOS A2 with the 85mm f1.8 EF lens, and made all exposures at f8.5 as read with a Minolta flashmeter. I place my model so that her head was in the center of the viewing screen and made several exposures on each roll of film. After processing, I used a 10X Peake loupe to select the sharpest negative in each set, then took the film to a custom lab where the enlarger was set for a 20x30 print size, but only the center of the negative was printed on a sheet of 8x10 paper. I was thus able to evaluate my test at 20X magnification without actually paying for 20x30s.

<p>

The films tested were Fuji's Reala, NPS-160, NPH-400, Superia 400, and NHG-II-800, and Kodak's VPS and PMC-400. The 160-speed films were rated at 125. Reala was superior to the other films, although one experienced printer had difficulty discerning Reala from NPH. VPS and NPH-400 tied for second. They were about equal in sharpness, with the grain a little finer in VPS but better color in the NPH. The Kodak films displayed a grayness in their skin tones that I don't care for. Kodak's PMC-400 was the least sharp of the films tested, actually less sharp than Fuji's NHG-II at 800 speed. The Fuji 800, by the way, is a revelation. You will simply not believe that a film this fast could be so good. Remember, all these tests were at 20X magnification, the equivalent of a 20x30 print from a 35mm negative.

<p>

The Fuji NPS-160 was the big loser in this test -- there's really no reason to use it. The grain is no better than NPH400, and it's actually less sharp than NPH. Fuji did photographers a real disservice when they discontinued Reala in 120 & 220 sizes and tried to ram an inferior film like NPS down our throats. I quit using Kodak products because of tactics like that. As for Fuji Superia 400, an amateur film,it's almost, but not quite as good as NPH. I will certainly use a lot of it for family snapshots with the confidence that it will make an easy 16x20 from 35mm, and a pretty good 20x30 if I should ever want one.

<p>

Getting back to the original proposition -- If you want to use Kodak, then use PMC-400. You will not likely be able to see the difference between it and VPS on a 20x24 print from a 6x7 negative. If you want to make a real improvement, load up with Fuji NPH-400.

Actually, Fuji still does make Reala Ace in 120/220. I can buy it just

about anywhere in Japan, even at the local grocery/dept. store. They

don't sell NPH-400 here, though. There's only Reala Ace, Super G 100/400,

NS-160 ("short speed"), NL-160 ("long speed"), and NC-160 ("commercial").

I haven't used any of the 160 speed films, nor do I know how it differs

from NPS sold in the US.

While visiting the states last month, I ran into the situation of not being able to by Reala 120 as well! It really surprised me, as it is readily available in Canada. In fact, a lot of places here in Toronto are actually PUSHING the film quite heavily!

<p>

I've been using this film for over a year now, and I've been quite happy with the results, both from the 35mm and 120 size.

<p>

So, for you Americans who like to use Reala, you might consider trying a few film places up here in Canada. I'm sure that it can be shipped for a fairly reasonable cost.

<p>

Later,

Danny