lens experimentation

Hi folks,

Hey I was playing around with my lenses... turning them

backwards and just holding them up to the body and getting

some cool macro shots. I have a d60 and the best lens is the EF

16-35mm for this kind of macro look... ANYWAY... Is this cool and

can anyone think of a way that I can mount the lens on to the

body? You know... no light leaks... no lens drops...

Thanks

Terry

heh.........well, they call it a "reversing ring". It has the bayonet set up on one side, which you attach to your cam, then on the other side the have threads that you screw the filter threads on you lens into. But...........I think your lens takes 77mm filters? The dont make reversing rings with that size filter thread on it. Most of the time the reversing ring was made for a 50mm thru 100mm lens, typically in the area of 49-55mm filter threads. They were also mostly made with manual exposure and manual focussing in mind, although there are some with coupling for auto exposure available. However, with the advent of the ease and popularity of macro lenses, the majority of manufacturers stopped making these. Used is still a possibility.........you could see what KEH might have. Regardless, the keyword you need to search for on the web is "reversing ring".

You can't expect to get very good results this way. This is a short focal length, assymetrical and complicated lens. You'd be better off with extension rings, and better yet used with a prime 50 or 100, and best with a true macro lens.

You need to do a little homework, starting with "Closeups in Nature" by John Shaw.

Thanks to everyone... especially those with additional

references. I'm really into shooting things that I general don't

see. I've been on my knees the last three days taking pictures of

ants. Smile Mr. ant... OK.... HOLD IT... HOLD IT.

Take care

Terry