I need help evaluating C41 processing services.

mark_muse

Anyone know of a site or other source of information on C41 processing problems from

the perspective of purchasing processing services? I have been using Portra 160 and

having it processed locally. I am scanning the negatives and printing on an inkjet. I am not

getting the highlight through quarter tone (zone IX-IV) value separation that I want. Also

my images could be sharper and I have a bit more grain than I think I should have.

I am "overexposing" a bit (indexed at 100) to get the shadow values I want but I think this

small amount should not, if the processing is correct, create these other problems. I did

have a few rolls processed by another lab and things seemed a little improved, though if

so it was not dramatic.

If I were making color prints on an enlarger what kind of density would I want for zone

VIII?

All of my lenses are modern multicoated and well respected brands/designs. I am using a

tripod that exceeds my needs.

Any info and insight appreciated. Thanks.

Try Kodak`s website. I believe they specify a certain density in the red channel on a control strip. I 800 242 2424 is Kodaks hot line. Ask for pro services. Unless you have a color densittometer, I don`t know how you are going to check anyway.

Try having a print made from the questionable neg on professional paper, not the high contrast stuff the drug stores use. You should use a pro wedding or portrait lab if you can`t do this at home.

I always found a trial print better than a densitometer and never even considered purchasing one in 45 years, and I am not one who will skimp on equipment.

Shoot a roll of E6 100 ISO (Provira, E100G or GX) and a roll of Porta 160 at 160 for 1/2 the roll, the other 1/2 at 100. Shoot the same subjects. Have the C-41 roll processed by a pro wedding lab. Send the E6 film to Fuji or Kodak.

If the E6 film is sharp and the C41 is not then it's a film problem. If the E6 film is also not sharp then have your camera checked. In my case I had my eyes checked and I found out that I needed a +2 diopter to focus correctly.

If the C41 looks good and is sharp at both 100 and 160 then you have solved your problem.

You have to shoot a control roll so that you have something to compare your C-41 against.

I'd think first of your scanner/scanning technique, your printer, and your use of unsharp masks, curves, levels, and other adjustments in Photoshop (or whatever comparable program you're using) before I thought about a problem with the lab. Simply developing color film is something that even a semi-respectable lab should be able to do competently without creating the problems you describe. OTOH, it takes good equipment and a fair amount of skill in using it to properly scan, manipulate, and print digitally. What scanner, scanner software, printer, inks, and editing program are you using? How are you using unsharp masks (i.e. how do you decide on the various settings in Photoshop or whatever program you're using and how do you apply them once you've decided)?