1 GB Compact Flash Cards - Bargain Price

J.W. Wall

Ditto in PA. I'm gonna go see what the card type is(It only says price break: 100 + Instant rebate 60 + MIR 20) If it is the Lexar - it is retailing for 229 at jandr.com. Perhaps the Black Friday Hit many months too late in Office Max ! :)

- Harman

Check the performance of the card when used with your particular camera by going to Rob Gailbraith's CompactFlash Performance Database at <a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007">www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007</a>. Use the drop-down list near the upper-right to veiw the test results of various cards when used with your camera. If you use a card that's slower than your camera can handle you'll be waiting for the buffer to clear when you're shooting, and it will take longer to upload your images to your computer. Not as much of an issue if shooting medium or small jpgs, more so for large jpgs, and especially so if shooting raw. And if you plan to upgrade your DSLR in the foreseeable future, figure that newer technology will be faster and be limited by slow CF cards.

The speed issue isn't relevant unless you are shooting until the buffer fills up. I have one of the fastest cards and one of the slowest cards and in my 10D, it makes no difference in usage, with raw or large jpeg. I'm not shooting nine shots in a row like a sports shooter might, but a sports shooter shouldn't be using a 10D anyway. My take is that at least with the 10D, the extra money for speed is a complete waste.

When I first got a D60 I bought into the speed hype, but my experience is like Jeff's. I use a 10D now, and even after a burst of 9 frames I need only wait for one file to be purged from the buffer before taking another shot. That's something like a couple of seconds.

Card speed also effects downloading, but I don't find it onerous to catch up on email while I wait for it to complete. I might demand a much better $/MB ratio for the very slowest of the cards, but it's not a big issue.