0x_62

A friend of mine will be in Shanghai later this year and I thought

about letting him buy a Canon 10D camera for me. Is the price

difference between Shanghai and Europe that significant that this is

worthwhile? If not in Shanghai, in which Asian countries could I

expect lower prices?

I'm aware that in case of a malfunction the warranty will be worthless

in Europe.

Hongkong : tho you've got to be extra careful exactly where/from whom you'll buy it. well , i guess that applies to anywhere in the world anyway.. good luck ! hope you get a good deal .......and get the 17-40mm f/4 L lens , avoid the kit lens that they might offer you.. pc

there's a Tin Cheung (reputable camera store) in Tsimshatsui,and i've bought a lot of stuff (accessories) for my Rolleiflex 3.5F, and 2.8F,Rollei 35,from them , look for a guy called Ernest ,and ask him to help you out , mention that Paul Candelaria ,referred you to this place .

and don't forget to ask for a discount (bargain) ok? sorry Bernhard , i couldn't find the tel. number. if and when i find it , i will post it here so you could get in touch with Ernest, and would also be a lot easier for you to ask for directions and find the place. good luck ! you'll probably get a good deal.

note: i have no connection, business wise with this store .. hope this helps you out.. pc

Have a look at this link about buying photo equipment in Hong Kong http://www.bubbachan.com/photoshopHK/shophk.htm Although this article was written a few years ago but most of what it describes are still true.

I personally recommend Man Shing or Wing Shing mentioned in this article. They are hornest and I bought most of my gears from them.

The pricing of 10D will vary in the near future, as a new model is likely to come and not so far away. My experience about photo equipment pricing in Hong Kong is that it may not be always cheaper than US, but it is definitely cheaper than Shanghai, most other Asian countries and Europe because of tax-free. If your friend is passing by then it is definitely worthwhile to have a look. Otherwise what you save may not pay for the trip.

Is there a really a compelling reason to saddle a friend with the responsibility to buy a muy $ item for you with a dubious warrantee, in order to smuggle it into your own homecountry, so that you do not have to pay your taxes, duties due etc, all in order to save maybe 100$, if at all. [And that item will be obsolete technically within 5 years at most anyway, a consumer piece of expensive gear ...]

I wonder about your moral, friendship, and financial fiber, all of them, and in that order. Giving up integrity for consumerism is not ever a good bargain at all in my eye.

But, please by all means, keep it up until you can learn and understand to pay the fair costs of life in all their due.

Sorry to seem to lecture you here, but why, how could I or anyone enable such an ignoble act? Cheers Bernhard! (not of Clerveaux)

Thanks for pointing this out Frank, since I'm still learning, I have no problem with beeing lectured.

100$ are surely not worth the risks and causes of illegal smuggling and tax defraudation. 100$ would not justify my friends sweat breakout at the toll station. Actually, 100$, or any amount of money I could save, are not worth commiting any kind of ignoble act. I totally agree with you.

But you have to understand that there are some things I just really WANT, and I'm just checking every possibility to to get it. And with your objections in mind it really seems like I have to find a different way to get my hands on this objet du désir, a less criminal one of course.

Or probably I will get that camera from my friend, it will expand my photographical possibilities, I will enjoy photography a little more, I will eventually pay taxes from the money I earn with photography in future, and at a later point, will lecture youngsters to buy their equipment for the full price at their local camera store =)

Who knows?