Aussies purchasing goods from overseas websites

barry_passaris

Are there any Aussies who know if purchasing goods from a US/UK

website will incur tax additional to GST (Goods and Services Tax)?

I'm considering purchasing equipment either from Robert White in the

UK or B&H in New York and prices for some EOS lenses are much cheaper

than in Sydney even with FedEx delivery charges.

If anybody has previously purchased any goods in this way, could you

please let me know if I will be charged any additional costs. I'm

sure this will be happening more frequently now that the Oz dollar is

much stronger.

Doing a bit of this myself (from HK also). If you can talk to the person packing the goods and have them marked as gift or product sample of zero commercial value you might skip the tax completely. Otherwise you take a chance.

On one occasion Au Customs Service called me & I had to fork over the extra before they would release the goods to me, on another occasion I had no such hitch. Essentially, you skip the 10% GST but some items can attract a 17% (iirc, anyone have it on better authority?) import duty if they pick you out.

Just my experience, YMMV

I did have a few purchases (lenses) from B&H online. You will have to pay a custom duty before your equipment being delivered from Sydney Airport. However, some stuffs may be still cheaper after paying the duty fee than buying in Australia.

Good luck...............

I have bought from 17th Street Photo in NYC in the past and their service, delivery speed and prices have been very competitive when you compare them to Sydney or Australia prices generally.

If you are buying expensive gear you will have to pay 10% GST before your goods are released, but its much cheaper than being from an local shop.

Hi Barry,<br><p>

I've been buying my photographic equipment (among other things) from overseas

outlets for years - who wants to pay the inflated prices Australian photographic

distributors charge? It's a simple procedure and 70-80% of the time the items come

through customs without any GST charged. Remember though, that the customs guys

are not stupid and they are aware of all the tricks with marking things as gifts or at

lower values, etc. They also have a pretty good idea of the value of photo gear.<br>

If you do get asked about the value of the goods, be honest, show what you actually

paid (invoice/receipt/credit card statement, etc) and pay the 10% GST.<br>

On the few occasions that I have had to pay the 10% GST it has only delayed delivery a

few days and the item was still far cheaper than buying here.<br><p>

Items which are valued over A$1,000 need a formal clearance, which involves some

paper work but you can do this yourself. <br>

There is an administration cost for this of around A$40 and the GST is calculated on

the cost of the item (you will have to show proof of purchase), plus the shipping and

insurance costs, so be prepared for the extra amounts over and above the item cost.

With the Aussie at around 78 cents to the green back, there is even more incentive to

buy

overseas.<br><p>

I just bought a new G4 powerbook last week at less than half the price of retail here

so it's got to be good. I have had good dealings with Robert White, 17th st photo and

also two Hong Kong dealers, as well as through eBay. I always try and get the items

sent via

the international postal express mail service courier (EMS), as this is very reliable,

cheaper than UPS or FedEx and most of the time the items get through without duty.

There is also tracking and insurance facilities available. <br>

UPS and FedEx always declare the item to customs and you WILL be charged GST!<br>

<p>

Most photographic items are free of duty and only GST is charged but check the Aust

Customs web site for the latest info.<br<p>

Good luck with your purchases - do your homework on prices and I'm sure you'll be

very pleased with the amount saved, especially with some of the higher priced gear

where savings are considerable.<br><p>

Kind regards<br>

Peter Brown - Cairns</br></p>

Dear All,

Thanks for your insights, especially yours Peter which were quite detailed. It's interesting that some couriers will declare the items to customs whilst others don't.

Peter, you mentioned EMS (What does this stand for?). Did you organise shipping independently of the store as 17th St Photo and B&H do not offer the shipping via this company on their sites.

Out of interest, does anybody bother to insure their purchases?

In addition, why is it that photographic equipment has such a high mark up price in Australia? The photo stores are just bleeding us!

Maybe I should look into a photo retail business, rather than taking photos, as there is obviously demand for selling at a reasonable price, which is a void in the current Oz retail market!

Hi again Barry,<br><p>

Yes, you are right, B&H and 17th st won't send EMS so there is not much alternative.

17th st do have some excellent prices though, and this can offset the extra cost of

UPS and the GST costs.<br>

A friend of mine bought a new Canon 300D, 17-40L and 70-200L f4 zooms, 50mm

1.8 and 1.4x converter through 17th st in early December and the all up cost,

including warranty, insurance, UPS delivery and GST was just over A$3,800. Not a bad

deal, considering that the camera alone would cost around A$1900 here in

Australia.<br><p>

Only thing is, UPS are crap to deal with. He had problems tracking the items and after

telling him that they wouldn't deliver to a PO Box and him driving to the depot on two

occasions to collect the parcel, it eventually ended up in the PO Box two days earlier

than the date they said delivery would take place. Customer service were rude as well

and he sent a written complaint. I've had similar problems myself with UPS.<br><p>

EMS is far better if the store or seller will send this way and many will but sometimes

only UPS or FedEx are offered. As far as insurance is concerned, I think for items in

excess of US$500, insurance is a good idea but it really depends on how it's being

shipped and from whom. The Post Office, contrary to popular belief, is actually very

safe and so far I have never had any problems shipping through EMS or

registered mail. Items travel by secure means and are checked at each transfer

point.<br><p>

Greed! That's why we've been ripped off for so many years. There can't be any other

reason - can there? As soon as something is marked as being "photographic"

suddenly the price goes up - maybe they know that we photographers are very rich.

Some people (photographic dealers) will try and tell you it's more expensive to buy

here because you get the support and knowledge of professional staff - yeah right!

Have you ever tried to get something fixed under warranty here (it usually gets sent

overseas anyway) or asked a "professional sales person" a question and got an

intelligent answer? I haven't. <br>

I, for one, will continue to buy from overseas dealers until the Australian dealers get

their act together and either offer better service or lower prices.

<p>

I hope the above info helps Barry and good luck with your purchases.<p>

Kind regards<br>

Peter Brown - <i>www.peter-brown-photographer.com</i></br></p>

I have purchased several thousand dollars of stuff over the last year from the US and the only tax that is levied on camera equipment is 10% GST.

Given the strength of the dollar and the fact Australia prices are more indicative of being 50c US, I can never see a time when I will actually purchase any major camera goods in Australia. I even have to buy slide film from B&H due to it being 4x the price here.