What ball head for Gitzo 1327?

lindsay_robb

I have very recently become the incredibly happy owner of a Gitzo

G1327 tripod, G1377M head and a Gitzo bag for next to nothing (hee

hee!).

I love the tripod but the head is just WAY too much! I use a little

Velbon right now with pan and tilt but I get so annoyed with the head

that I have been wanting to go with a ball head for a while. Whilst

the G1377M looks great, it weighs more than the tripod!

I want something smaller (shorter) and lighter but something that can

take a light weight 645 medium format.

About 70% of my photography is still life macro and I would like to

get a Manfrotto sliding plate eventually, so the head would have to

be compatible with this accessory. I also do some architectural and

landscape.

Previously, the only head I had considered was the Uniloc 30, mainly

due to budget contraints. When I mentioned this to the person I

purchased the Gitzo from they gave me a very typical 'photo snobbery'

look and snort. Does anyone have experience with this head and is

there really anything wrong with it?

The other heads I have looked at online today are the Manfrotto 484,

486, a used 168, and the new 322 with grip. I know that all of these

could take my equipment but I don't want to overdo it.

HELP!

PS. Anyone in Europe want to buy a G1377M head?

The major response you will get is to purchase an Arca/Swiss B1 or a Kirk BH-1. You don't need these heads for your maximum load of a lightweight 645 MF camera system, and both of the heads have issues anyway.<br><br>

Instead shop the Kirk BH-3, Linhof Profi II, Acratech Ultimate, and Markins M10.<br><br>

I have the Linhof and like it a lot. I chose it mainly for the outstanding ergonomics. The Markins has unbeleivable build quality but is difficult to purchase. It is sold in Europe through the <a href="https://www.photoproshop.com/" target="_blank">Nikonians Proshop</a>.<br><br>

Whatever you do, buy a ballhead that either comes with an Arca/Swiss style clamp or one that can be easily converted to utilize this standard QR clamp. I converted my Linhof Profi II with a Markins clamp and it is an excellent rig for my system.<br><br>

Also, search the archives here on photo.net using some of the brand names I have provided. You will find a wealth of information far richer than that which will be provided in this single thread. When I purchased a tripod/ballhead combo a few months ago I did several months worth of research and dealer visits before I settled on the products I purchased. You have a wonderful tripod, take care in your ballhead reseach and you will end up with a camera support system that will serve you for the rest of your life.<br><br>

Good luck!!  :)

I've gotten a lot of great use from my Gitzo 1227 and Acratech ball head. Done a lot of work with both a Bronica GS-1 and a Hasselblad 500CM with great results. The head and the tripod are absolutely solid. The combination is also lightweight easy to setup and take down. I'm sure the Acratech would work nicely on the 1327 as well.

I don't understand what's wrong with the G1377 head. It's a center-ball head with a large ball, and a very smooth action. You can dress improve its functionality considerably by installing a Really Right Stuff, Arca-Swiss-style clamp. You'd replace it with a Manfrotto/Bogen "grip" head?

The G1377 is about the cheapest ball head anyone could call effective. It locks up tight, without a jiggle. It's no slouch for load capacity either, rated for over 17 pounds. I have only two beefs: (1) all the knobs look alike, and (2)the tension control doesn't work well. That said, the only head that is better in second category is the Arca-Swiss B1, with its non-spherical ball.

The G-1377 weight, incidently, is 1.8 pounds, while the G-1327 CF tripod is over 5 pounds. It is the lightest Gitzo head with this capacity, and only slightly heavier than the B1.

Really Right Stuff makes several long A/S plates which can be used as focusing sliders, as well as a geared focusing rail. I went the non-geared way, which works well both for macro and adjusting the pivot point for panoramas. The long Manfrotto plate is really for video cameras. Lugs on the head and plate prevent free sliding. The locking mechanism on the Manfrotto quick release is pretty much all-or-nothing. The A/S clamp can be loosened gradually, for a sliding fit with friction.

The Manfrotto heads you mention are not in the same league: in quality, functionality nor capacity. The Manfrotto 468 Pro head would be a better choice. It can take an A/S head, and is in the same price range as the G-1377. In general, the larger the ball, the better the ball head.

Thanks everyone for your answers but I have been looking up some of these heads and I have some MAJOR problems with all of them.

Problem 1 - PRICE!!

Problem 2 - SIZE & WEIGHT!!

I need something costing less than say 100 pounds (much less would be preferred). I really don't care if my head can take 17 pounds. I will only be putting about 5 pounds worth of camera on it ever. It's just too big and too heavy.

I may look like a fool walking around with an expensive tripod and a cheap head on it but it's a risk I am willing to take! :)

So any more suggestions in a cheaper price range?

Oh, and I know that Manfrotto make a video sliding plate but I thought the 454 was specifically for micro focusing and copying?

You seem offended, and that is certainly not the intent. Most of us on Photo.Net have been there and done that, and have found some solutions are effective and others not. The most expensive purchase you can make is something that does not do the job.

The capacity ratings are misleading. If the camera is level, nearly any head will do. Holding at an angle is another matter. Small-diameter ball heads are not reliable in this case, which are common for still-life and macro photography. The G-1377 will not hold a 7 pound view camera at angles greater than 15 degrees, despite its rating. It depends on the weight and moment arm. The problem is amplified if you shoot in the vertical mode by flopping the ball into the slot.

A suitable head should hold at the angle you need with moderate pressure on the locking knob. If you find it necessary to crank really hard, you are asking for trouble.

The other problem with light-duty heads (and many heavy-duty heads) is that the quick-release (or standard screw mount) will not prevent turning if the camera is in the vertical position - there is no lip to grab the camera and you simply can't tighten a single screw enough to hold.

The generally accepted solution is an Arca-Swiss type clamp and plate. The plates are available, custom-designed for nearly any camera, that are secure in any position. Many ball heads, including the G-1377, Kirk and Linhoff can be fitted with an Arca-Swiss clamp. Since you already have the G-1377, that would be the least expensive route.

Agree completely with Edward. Lindsay if you do your research here on photo.net one of the consistent themes is that camera support is secondary (or worse) in the spending priority list to bodies/lenses, bags, whatever. The humble ballhead/tripod combo is however crucial if you are really interested in quality. The number of posts here lamenting damaged equipment/lost pictures/dodgy tripods because of a reluctance to invest in decent camera support is nothing short of amazing.

You've got the best tripod made for "next to nothing" (your quote). If you buy a really cheap ballhead, you will compromise the quality base you have with the tripod. Use the G1377 and save for a quality ballhead instead of that new lens. (I have the Gitzo catalog and the G1377 is listed as "fixed plate type" so it will not accept an A/S QR clamp.) The ballhead doesn't have to be new, my Linhof was a demo and heavily discounted and it is perfect. Once you get the new ballhead sell the G1377 on the auction site. People will buy it just because it's a Gitzo, and you should get around US$140-150 if it's in good shape. Offset that against your outlay and I think you may find you can get a quality ballhead and an A/S type QR clamp and plate that will truly complement your tripod. And you will not regret it later. :)

The comment regarding Gitzo 1377M not being able to be retrofitted with A/S clamp is incorrect. One can remove the round camera platform which exposes a reversible 1/4 or 3/8" stud. I have a 1177M model which is similar to it. I think Gitzo ball heads are underrated a bit. My 1177M is not the smoothest head but it will easily hold 5 to 6lbs of camera equipment at any angle (it is rated 8.8lb). I do have an Acratech head coming for my G1325 and I think this is the best 1lb ball head out there. I don't know if it can be purchased in Europe though.

Thanks for the correction Adam. I had assumed that "fixed" in the catalog meant that the round platform was fixed to the stem, but obviously not...<br><br>

That being the case Lindsay, if you <i>do</i> decide to move from the G1377, make sure you know your target ballhead and whether it comes with an Arca/Swiss clamp or not. You don't want two clamps... :)<br><br>

I found the review of the Markins M10 ballhead linked to below a while back. I really like the Markins but the company makes the darn thing incredibly difficult to buy.<br><br>

<ul type="square">

<li><a href="http://www.nikonians-images.com/info/Markins-Whitepaper.pdf" target="_blank">The Markins M10 Q-Ball</a></li>

</ul>

I really wasn't offended or anything about everyone's previous responses. It was just that every head that was mentioned was WAY out of my budget when I looked it up.

The second set of responses was very helpful and has put things into perspective. After some consultation of fellow photographers, all of them picked up my Gitzo head and disagreed that it was heavy or bulky. So for the time being I will keep the head and put up with the weight.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help!