305mm tele on Calumet

jeffrey_abelson

Since this isn't likely to be a telephoto design, the optical center will be at or near the plane of the lens diaphragm, pretty close to the front of the lensboard. As a "long" conventional lens, I calculate about 13 feet as a close limit, which would be a bit far for head-and-shoulders portraits or still life, but fine for landscape. The exact locations of the film plane and optical center are what matter, so measuring the separation of the standards gives only an approximation.

If I didn't mess up the algebra, one inch of forward displacement would bring the near focus down to about seven feet, which is starting to get into portrait range. You might be able to use an extension lensboard to gain additional effective bellows length, if the camera is mechanically up to it and you can find one.

Be aware that either a telephoto design or extension lensboard will make the use of lens tilt more difficult, as subject that should be easily researched in the archives.

I got so invlolved with shooting yesterday that I forgot about the auction and got sniped for about $6! There happened to be a extension board as well (same seller) but I lost that as well. I leanred something very important about large format shooting yesterday: just aim for one setup - I tried two locations but found my work after the second hike sloppy.<div>008k7E-18642684.jpg.a20fe798dd0250e1a9d42e0ea87b9cbe.jpg</div>